Here are 10 random thoughts/facts/bits of info about my penny pinching / frugal life.
1. Today's quote on my quote board is, "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." ~ William Morris. I think this quote helps to embody the idea of frugality quite nicely. You don't need lots of "things" in your life. You need things that are useful and things that are beautiful or make you feel good. We have framed pictures, a few tiny trinkets from trips, like my Ouray Tommyknocker symbol, and books. These things, to me, are beautiful and they have meaning.
2. You can tell it's harvest season here...I've been making salsa and freezing roasted tomatoes, freezing cooked spaghetti squash, and keeping an eye on my broccoli seedlings. I'm filling up the freezer for winter!
3. Speaking of the freezer, I've gotten back to my clearance meat shopping too. Since switching to only organic meats it's more important than ever to find stuff on sale. Last week I scored 2 packages of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and a whole chicken on clearance! Yesterday I got two small salmon fillets on clearance.
4. I'm trying to get back on track with my grocery budget as well. After looking over this USDA report I definitely feel better about what I'm spending, but I still am trying to keep things in check as much as possible. Just because it's cheaper per ounce to buy a large box of mushrooms, if I don't NEED that many mushrooms for the week, is it worth it?
5. I can't remember the last time I went clothes shopping.
6. I have 2 REI gift cards in my purse. I haven't thought of anything I need yet, so there they sit...waiting.
7. We just got back from a great backpacking trip. Backpacking is not a cheap activity to get into, what with needing a backpack, small tent, stove, etc., but once you have the gear, a trip can be pretty frugal. Mac and Cheese is a great backpacking dinner and by keeping an eye out, I can always find Annie's or other organic brands 2 for 1.
8. I still don't understand people who buy $5 lattes from Starbucks everyday. Those expenses should be a treat, not an everyday occurence!
9. We are totally rockin' the food waste challenge at our house. I've absolutely gotten into a mode of using it up or freezing it.
10. Next time, before you purchase that next purse or pair of shoes, ask yourself if they're necessary. Are you shopping because you're bored, or because you really need new shoes? It takes 5 seconds to ask yourself that and a lot longer to return the shoes the next day.1 comments