What's in a Word | All Blogs


Thinking about zinc

By Debra Dobbins

Right after lunch today I popped a multi-vitamin, multi-mineral pill. Its minerals include 11 milligrams of zinc, which, according to the product labeling, meet 73 percent of an adult’s daily requirement. I’m not worried about the other 27 percent, as health professionals say that zinc is also found in low-fat dairy products, fortified breakfast cereals, chicken (dark meat), cashews, flounder and sole, all of which I like.

Ingesting zinc is said to benefit one’s skin and liver. It is also considered helpful in healing wounds and in enhancing the immune system.

The word for this mineral, which is number 30 on the Periodic Table of Elements, is an anglicized version of the German word Zink. It came into English in the 1650s, according to the Online Etymology Dictionary.

Oh, almost forgot: Zinc’s reportedly also found in dark chocolate. Nope, absolutely no concerns here about any unhealthful zinc deficiency …


Special to the Sentinel
 

COMMENTS

Please Login or Register to leave a comment.




Recent Posts
The Book Report News
By Richie Ann Ashcraft
Tuesday, January 27, 2015

More fun with frozen tomatillos
By Penny Stine
Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Annual Safeway Savings
By Julie Norman
Tuesday, January 27, 2015

5 Penny Pinches
By Julie Norman
Friday, January 23, 2015

Selector Trev’s Passion for Music is Infectious
By David Goe
Friday, January 23, 2015


TOP JOBS
  • Unit Manager Rn Or Lpn

    Unit ManagerRN or LPNManagement experience in long-term care....

  • Hygienist

    Dental needed for permanentPart-Time position.3 days/week.

  • Private Investigator

    Must be computer literate, pass background check, have valid drivers ...

  • Government

    EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES Criminal Justice Services Criminal Justic...

  • Jump Start Job Fair

    Get Ready toJump Start 2015And Get That Job!Jump Start 201...





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Sign in to your account
Information

© 2015 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy