5 Penny Pinches
The Frugal Girl sent out a 5 Frugal Things email today, so I thought I'd attempt a 5 Penny Pinches blog post for you.
1. I've been getting lots of free exercise lately AND saving on gas by taking run/walks on my lunch break down on our Riverfront Trail. It's about 1/4 mile from work, so I can get there, run/walk, and get back to work well within my lunch hour. The other day I saw this guy:
2. I made 2 loaves of King Arthur Back-of-the-Bag Oatmeal Bread last week. I did NOT use King Arthur flour because the store brand is less expensive and just as good!
3. For Christmas a friend got me the Thug Kitchen cookbook. If you aren't easily offended by explitives, check it out! The recipes end up being fairly inexpensive because they're all vegetarian. Most are actually vegan and gluten free. This week we had the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas.
(image from Amazon.com) Click the image to be taken to the Amazon page about it.
4. In making several recipes this week I've dug into the freezer for bags of frozen zucchini, butternut squash and tomatoes from last season's harvest. It's been great to use up some of those items in anticipation of an even better garden this year!
5. Speaking of the garden...we've started planning. Penny over at Let's Get Dirty, can prove that's a little bit cheaper (though time consuming) to have your own garden! For us I think that definitely proved true. I still buy lots of produce, but having peaches, plums, squash and other items on hand has been very helpful this year.