120 years: 1926
Blake and Mary Manuel open their first store, Manuel’s Economy Store, at 530 Main St. in 1926.
Grand Junction’s electric streetcars are replaced by bus service.
Grand Junction High School at Ninth Street and Chipeta Avenue gets a new gymnasium, and the first Grand Valley car show is held at the Lincoln Park Auditorium.
The Grand Junction Lions Club holds its first “Follies” at the Avalon Theatre, and $400 is raised for the new Junior College.
The first permanent site proposed is “Capital Hill” at Seventh Street and Patterson Road.
Route 66 is established this year, and motorists get their kicks traveling across country from Chicago to Los Angeles.