Burning trash barrel tips over, ignites fire at home in Montrose

MONTROSE — Montrose firefighters were able to limit the damage to a home Tuesday evening after a burning trash barrel spilled and ignited the home.

Firefighters arrived at 12736 64.50 Road at 8:56 p.m. Tuesday after the owner reported hearing a “pop” and found embers from a burning trash barrel had ignited a trash area near the home.

Firefighters needed 49 minutes to extinguish the fire, which caused approximately $20,000 damage to the building and $25,000 damage to items inside and outside the home.

According to an incident report, the fire caused heavy damage to property outside of the home and damage to back bedroom and bathroom areas.

Fire investigator John Rogers described a heavy fuel load and said the fire’s intensity caused it to move rapidly.

The Montrose Fire Department said no one was injured in the incident.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy