Family left homeless after fire in Pear Park

Mesa County Sheriff authorities and fire and rescue volunteers stand in the street a smoke fills the neighborhood .



Both the Clifton Fire Protection department and Grand Junction Fire Department responded to the stubborn fire.



Scenes from a blaze at 418 Lark Drive in Pear Park.



QUICKREAD


A family of five was displaced but escaped unharmed Thursday night after a fire that started in a shed consumed their Pear Park home.

Patty O’Brien looked on in disbelief as firefighters used chain saws to tear through the roof and sprayed water on the blaze at her home, 418 Lark Drive.

Firefighters emerged from the home with one of the family’s two dogs, a Maltese named Precious. O’Brien was unsure of the fate of the family’s other dog and their 17 cats.

“We took in strays that we knew nobody else would take care of,” she said.

Firefighters from Clifton Fire Protection District and one engine from Grand Junction Fire Department were on the scene of the fire that started just before 10 p.m.

The American Red Cross showed up on the scene to offer the family assistance.

Smoke from the fire carried across much of Pear Park on Thursday night. Neighbors in the area that is dense with manufactured homes wandered the streets to console one another and to take pictures of the flames on cell phones.

O’Brien said she wasn’t sure how the fire started and the shed was mainly used as storage for some of her uncle’s things.

Flames reached 10 feet into the air from the area of her bedroom and her aunt’s bedroom on the east side, as firefighters ventilated the roof on the home’s opposite end.

O’Brien said she was watching television when she looked out the front window and saw a bright light.

“I said, ‘Mom, the shed is on fire,’ ” she said. “Within a minute the house was on fire.”

O’Brien, who works at Star Tek, said she has been home sick two days from work, but was planning to go back today. Her work clothes and all of her belongings burned in the blaze.

“We just saw that story about the fire in Fruita,” she said. “You never want that to happen. Now it’s happening to our family.”


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


TOP JOBS
Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2015 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy