Man dies, 3 sickened in trailer at Delta park

A Delta man died from carbon monoxide poisoning and three other adults were sickened over the holiday weekend at a recreational vehicle park in Delta, authorities said Monday.

Delta County Coroner Chalmer Swain ruled 50-year-old Jack Herrera’s death accidental.

Officials with the Delta Police Department, Delta Fire Department and Delta County Ambulance responded to the Valley Sunset RV Park, 1675 Colorado Highway 92, around 7:30 p.m. Saturday after a neighbor found Herrera, another man and two women unconscious inside a camp trailer, Delta police spokeswoman Jamie Head said.

Herrera was pronounced dead at the scene. The three other adults were taken to Delta County Memorial Hospital. Two have since been released and the third was expected to be released today, Head said.

The names of the three other people were not released. The Coroner’s Office said a dog and cat inside the trailer survived.

A woman who answered the phone at the RV park Monday said she was the owner of the park but declined to identify herself. She said a family living in the park was being visited by relatives for the holidays.

“It’s a really sad situation,” the owner said.

A state law that went into effect last year requires carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in most homes. The law, however, didn’t include camp trailers.

It’s unclear whether the camp trailer was equipped with carbon monoxide detectors or, if it was, whether they were working.



COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.




Search More Jobs






THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Sign in to your account
Information

© 2014 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy