Man gets 24 years in double-fatal crash

A Parachute man on Monday was sentenced to 24 years in prison for killing a mother and her infant daughter in a drunken-driving wreck.

“I pray for forgiveness from the family,” Derrick Maxfield, 20, told District Judge Richard Gurley during a sentencing hearing. “I’ve turned to God and I do believe I can educate young adults about drinking and driving, and the consequences.”

Maxfield expressed remorse, saying he made a “shameful and irresponsible” decision to drive drunk following an early morning party on Feb. 28, 2009, which ended with Maxfield’s Honda Civic slamming into a pickup truck driven by Luis Casiano, 23. Casiano was injured while his wife, Shandi Boetel, 21, and 6-month-old daughter, Natalia Casiano, both were killed.

Maxfield faced anywhere from 16 to 30 years under the terms of an agreement with the district attorney’s office after pleading guilty to vehicular homicide, child abuse resulting in death, vehicular assault and misdemeanor DUI.

Maxfield was ordered to pay costs and fines topping $5,000, while Luis Casiano may seek additional restitution.

Tammy Ulibarri, Boetel’s mother, is seeking unspecified damages in a wrongful death lawsuit filed against Maxfield, which is still pending before Chief District Judge David Bottger.

Mark Hand, deputy district attorney, said Ulibarri remains critical of the plea deal and believes the 16-to-30-year sentencing range for Maxfield was “too light.” Ulibarri didn’t attend Monday’s hearing.

“Nothing we do today will bring back the victims in this case,” Hand told the judge, asking for a “significant” term in prison.

Maxfield on Feb. 28 attended a party on Orchard Mesa, then left after he got into a fight with his girlfriend. Maxfield drove up Fifth Street at speeds estimated around 70 mph, running several red lights in the process, before slamming into Casiano’s pickup at the intersection of Fifth Street and North Avenue.

Hand said officers estimated Maxfield’s Honda was moving at a minimum of 58 mph at the time of collision. A search warrant affidavit said Maxfield registered a blood-alcohol level of .210 percent immediately after the accident.

Maxfield on Monday was supported by more than 20 friends and family, who pleaded with the judge to impose the minimum term.

“My child is a boy,” Stacie Colling, Maxfield’s public defender, told the judge. “I can only hope he grows into the fine young man that Derrick Maxfield is.”

Gurley, prior to passing sentence, said justice was an impossible task on Monday.

“Justice means something different to everybody here this morning,” the judge said.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy