Plea hearing set in Cabrera case
A man accused of first-degree murder apparently is again planning to accept a plea deal in connection with the death of his stepdaughter’s boyfriend near Glenwood Springs.
Ninth Judicial District Attorney Sherry Caloia told reporters by e-mail Thursday that a plea in the case of Fredy Cabrera is scheduled to be entered Friday morning.
Cabrera, 40, who lives outside Carbondale, faces a charge of first-degree murder after deliberation in last year’s shooting death of Douglas Menjivar, 21. He also faces an assault charge for allegedly shooting and injuring his stepdaughter, Leydy Trejo. He reportedly was upset that the two were in a relationship.
Cabrera is scheduled for trial starting in September. He had indicated to prosecutors last week that he would accept a plea offer, but on Tuesday said in court he wanted to go to trial. He then briefly met with his attorneys before returning to court with what one of his attorneys said was an intent to accept the plea, but then once again changed his mind and said he wanted a trial.
Prosecutors have offered to drop the assault charge and accept a guilty plea to second-degree murder, with a sentencing range of 16 to 48 years. Cabrera would face life in prison without parole if convicted of the first-degree murder charge.
His defense attorneys have said Cabrera has been grappling with an emotional decision that involves spending at least 16 years in prison away from his family even under the plea deal.