Rock Jam 2014 canceled
Rock Jam is no more.
The classic and hard rock festival that takes place late each summer in Mack has been canceled for 2014 and will not return, according to an email sent to Rock Jam 2013 ticket-holders Tuesday morning.
Dhruv Prasad, executive vice president of live events for the company that purchased rights last year to put on Country Jam and Rock Jam, Townsquare Media Group, told The Daily Sentinel those ticket-holders who had VIP or camp site reservations in the past will have first dibs on those items in summer 2015, when Rock Jam will be replaced with a new festival. Prasad said the new offering, Loud Wire Music Festival, will blend hard and classic rock elements of Rock Jam with alternative and indie rock music.
Prasad said Townsquare has been working since last summer to set up Rock Jam 2014 but decided within the last few weeks to retire the Rock Jam concept.
“We gave it a good shot and tried very hard to make the festival come together but a variety of factors were not in our favor this year,” Prasad said. “We did a lot of consumer surveying and it became clear to us the brand needed new life.”
The new festival will take place sometime next summer in Mack. Prasad said numerous dates are being discussed. Which dates will be picked depend on band availability, he said. Loud Wire will likely last three days instead of Rock Jam’s two days and blend a variety of acts from across the rock spectrum.
“We’re trying to do something that’s a little bit universal,” Prasad said. “We’re shooting to bring in a level of talent that is an upgrade over what Rock Jam has seen in its recent history.”
No tickets were sold or acts booked for Rock Jam before it was canceled.
Prasad said the company plans to continue Country Jam in its current form.