UPDATE: Two arrested on suspicion of role in Glenwood Ave. incident

8:15 p.m. — Two men have been arrested on suspicion of their role in today’s incident on Glenwood Avenue.

Aaron Kennedy, 41, Grand Junction, was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault, felony menacing, reckless endangerment, prohibited use of weapon and obstructing officers.

Nathan Kennedy, 43, Grand Junction was ticketed on suspicion of prohibited use of a weapon and obstructing officers.

The arresting documents and search warrants in this case are sealed and no further information was released today, Police Department spokeswoman Kate Porras said.
5:15 p.m. — Almost an entire block of a residential area near Colorado Mesa University was shut down this morning while the Grand Junction Police Department SWAT Team tried to get a man suspected of firing shots in the area to surrender.

At approximately noon, nearly seven hours after the incident was first reported, two men, including the suspect, walked out from the home at 752 Glenwood Ave., according to Police Department spokeswoman Kate Porras.

Both men, who were not identified, were detained and questioned, but no charges had been filed.

1 p.m. — The two men who left the 700 block of Glenwood Avenue home have been taken in for questioning. No charges have been filed. The SWAT Team remains on-scene so the home can be searched, Grand Junction Police Department spokeswoman Kate Porras said.
12:10 p.m. — Two men voluntarily have come out of the house in the 700 block of Glenwood Avenue. SWAT Team still on scene. Unknown if more people are inside.

11 a.m. — At least one man allegedly involved in an early-morning shooting has locked himself inside a home in the 700 block of Glenwood Avenue, refusing numerous requests from the Grand Junction Police Department SWAT Team to come out.

The man, who was not identified, may be inside the home with at least one other man, Kate Porras said.

Most of the 700 block of Glenwood Avenue is closed, and people living in a two-block area have been notified to remain inside their homes with the windows locked while the SWAT Team is on scene, Porras said.

The incident began at approximately 5 a.m. this morning when the Police Department was dispatched to the nearby 700 block of Bunting Avenue on the report of shots being fired.

A male victim had been hit in the face with the butt of a gun and ran away when two shots were fired in the alley between the 700 blocks of Bunting Avenue and Glenwood Avenue, Porras said. One of the shots hit a fence, causing debris to injure the victim, who was not seriously injured.

The altercation happened after the male suspect was told to leave the party on Bunting Avenue but returned, possibly armed with a shotgun, Porras said.

Stay updated on this story at GJSentinel.com and read a full story in Monday’s newspaper.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy