The Latest: Colorado fire evacuees allowed back home

BOULDER, Colo. — The Latest on wildfire burning near Boulder, Colorado (all times local):

10:25 a.m.

Hundreds of residents have been allowed to return to their homes in the foothills near Boulder, Colorado, as firefighters make progress against a wildfire possibly sparked by transient campers in the area.

The fire was burning on about 70 acres just west of downtown and is about 50 percent contained. Boulder County Sheriff’s Cmdr. Mike Wagner says investigators are working to pinpoint where the fire started.

It broke out Sunday in a wooded, mountainous place a couple of miles from Pearl Street, the shopping and dining hub in the heart of the university city. Officials ruled out any lightning strikes or downed power lines.

Another wildfire in the county was accidentally started last year by two men camping in the mountains who didn’t fully put out their campfire. It destroyed eight homes.

—————

9:10 a.m.

Hundreds of residents could be allowed to return to their homes in the foothills near Boulder, Colorado, on Monday as firefighters make progress against a wildfire possibly sparked by transient campers in the area.

Boulder County Sheriff’s Cmdr. Mike Wagner says that the fire was still believed to be about 60 acres and about 50 percent contained. Winds are forecast to be a bit lighter than when the fire broke out on Sunday but are still likely to be a factor especially in
the afternoon.

Another wildfire in the county was accidentally started last year by two men camping in the mountains who didn’t fully put out their campfire. It destroyed eight homes.


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


TOP JOBS
Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy