Two fugitives may have been killed in Mexico
The Grand Junction Police Department on Tuesday said it enlisted the help of the FBI to determine if a pair of brothers wanted locally on suspicion of attempted murder were among 21 people killed last week Mexico.
The men, Juan Manuel Martinez, 30, and his brother, Miguel Angel Martinez, 23, who had a last known local address of 2988 Red Bud Court, may have been slain in a wave of violence July 12 in Juarez, Grand Junction police said.
Miguel Martinez Mendoza and Raul Martinez Mendoza, both 23, died at a hospital July 12 after being gunned down in a Juarez neighborhood, according to a story published July 14 by The El Paso Times. The 21 victims, including one as young as 15, were targeted in multiple neighborhoods, a soccer field and an automobile repair shop on the evening of July 12, all suspected fallout of feuding between the Juarez and Sinaloa drug cartels.
Police spokeswoman Kate Porras said local authorities believe Miguel Mendoza may in fact be Miguel Martinez, citing other media accounts. Authorities are also looking into claims that Juan Martinez was killed in the same incident, Porras said.
FBI spokesman Dave Joly confirmed they are working with Grand Junction police to verify identities.
Arrest warrants remain active for the Martinez brothers on suspicion of attempted murder, assault and vehicular assault, among other charges, stemming from an incident that started Oct. 3, 2010, at Tequila’s Mexican Restaurant, 2454 U.S. Highway 6&50. Police allege Miguel Martinez punched a woman in the face after the woman was involved in an argument with Juan Martinez. They claim the brothers got inside a pickup, then ran over two men in the parking lot of the nearby Carl’s Jr. restaurant, before Miguel Martinez got out of the truck and beat one of the men and robbed the man of his wallet and cell phone.