Welding mishap blamed for barn fire on Orchard Mesa

A fire Sunday morning gutted a roughly 50-by-50 feet metal barn in an apparent welding accident on Orchard Mesa, authorities said.

Central Orchard Mesa Fire Department Chief David Gitchell said the property owner at 3177 B Road reported he’d been cutting iron with various welding equipment inside the barn and had briefly walked back to his house on the 35-acre spread in order to get a snack. Later, he heard popping sounds coming the barn.

“It (fire) was already running by that time,” said Gitchell, estimating the barn to be a total loss.

The property is owned by Tom Grunkmeyer, according to Mesa County Assessor records.

Initial 911 reports around 11:40 a.m. said flames were shooting through the roof. Several people at the scene scrambled to evacuate animals from the barn. Witnesses described hearing several small explosions from inside the barn, which, aside from welding gear, was said to have held several vehicles. An assortment of tanks, oxygen and propane, were situated outside the barn.

No injuries were reported, Gitchell said.

Firefighters and other resources from the Grand Junction Fire Department’s Station Four were called to help battle the blaze, which briefly shut down B Road. Firefighters were still cleaning the scene as of 4:30 p.m.



COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.




Search More Jobs






THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Sign in to your account
Information

© 2014 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy