10 remodel tips from Parade of Homes
Many people taking the Parade of Homes Tour are looking for ideas to use in their own home remodels.
“They come to see what’s new, maybe to find out about a builder, or what they can use in their own homes,” said Rod Porter, project manager at Porter Homes.
Builders at this year’s parade shared their top 10 suggestions for home remodeling.
1. Spend money in the kitchen: Porter said the kitchen is the focal point of any home. It should be designed for comfort, ease of cleaning and other multi-uses.
2. A large pantry will save money: Dane Griffin, owner of Griffin Concepts, said one of the easiest ways to save money on a kitchen remodel is to build a large pantry. Not only does it provide storage, but it will save the homeowner money on cabinets.
3. Don’t overlook the garage: Often homeowners can easily convert their garage space into extra living space.
4. Some upgrades can be easy: A current trend is a pass-through between a master closet and laundry room. “You just cut a hole in the wall — it’s pretty simple,” Porter said.
5. Consider new hardware in the bathroom: Often a changing or adding shower heads or new towel holders are enough to spruce up the bathroom.
6. Don’t forget to look up: Lighting is another often overlooked detail in many houses. New light fixtures, a relatively inexpensive upgrade, can add a new ambiance to any home.
7. Consider built-in furniture: Griffin said built-ins can be used for seating or extra storage space. They add a warm feeling to a home without a lot of expense.
8. Don’t forget the entry way: One of the best places to upgrade is an exterior entryway. It’s the first impression visitors get of your home which adds curb appeal and resale value.
9. Uniformity: Instead of thinking about a single room remodel, consider the home in its entirety to ensure uniformity throughout the home.
10. Flooring: Often the last place homeowners spend money, when it should be one of the first. Choose quality flooring with a combination of textures including hardwood, carpet and tile.
The 2012 Parade of Homes takes place from 10 a.m. To 7 p.m. Sept. 14-16 and 22-23. Tickets are $10 and available at City Market locations. More information is available in the Parade of Homes insert in Friday’s The Daily Sentinel or at http://www.hbanwco.com.