Briefs: Local News October 16, 2008
Military ball Nov. 14 at Two Rivers
T• he 2008 All Services Military Ball will take place at 6 p.m. Nov. 14 at Two Rivers Convention Center. Guest speaker will be Janis Nark, who is retired from the U.S. Army. Big band music will be provided by Men of Music. Tickets will be on sale at Wal-Mart, 2545 Rimrock, Oct. 14, 22, and Nov. 1. For information, call 250-5861.
Palisade grower on worker visa panel
• Gov. Bill Ritter has appointed Palisade peach grower Bruce Talbott to be one of nine members of a panel that will work on ways for Colorado to speed up consideration of state applications for visas for foreign agricultural workers.
The Legislature created the panel as part of a pilot program to help Colorado better meet farmers’ needs for laborers through the H-2A visa program.
Talbott said he plans to provide the panel the “on-the-ground, in the trenches view of what will or won’t work.”
Sales tax collection class set for Nov. 12
• The Colorado Department of Revenue will have a sales/use tax class at 1 p.m. Nov. 12 at 222 S. Sixth St., Room 101. Training materials will include how to collect and file sales taxes. Continuing Professional Education credits are available. For information, visit http://www.TaxSeminars.state.co.us.
County libraries blood drive Oct. 31
• The Mesa County Libraries will have a blood drive from 2:30 to
5 p.m. Oct. 31. Free cholesterol screenings are included. To register, call 243-4442.
Monument bookstore open house slated
• The Colorado National Monument Association will have an open house at the new bookstore from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The newly remodeled store is in the visitor center. For information, call 858-3617 or visit http://www.nps.gov/colm.
GJ graduate has film at Paonia festival
• Matthew Perino, a graduate of Grand Junction High School, will have his film “Dollar Portrait” screened at TIE: The International Experimental Cinema Expo in Paonia on Oct. 23-26. Perino is a senior film student at the University of Colorado in Boulder.