Music Scene: Bruce Hayes
There won’t be a still moment when Bruce Hayes plays at the Radio Room.
And with his “electrifying” stage presence, according to a news release, don’t expect those in the audience to be sitting still either.
“He taps his feet on an amplified floor board, slaps accents on his guitar and cheeks, wails on the harmonica and sings charismatically. His fingers dance around the strings with incredible fluidity creating rich harmonic textures and rapid-fire riffs,” the release said.
Hayes will perform his blend of Celtgrass music at 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 19, at KAFM Radio Room, 1310 Ute Ave.
The singer/songwriter, multi-instrument musician, record producer and recording engineer performs as a one-man band, or with his band in shows and music festivals across America and Europe.
Hayes’ original songs and arrangements are conveyed through mandolin, guitar, Dobro, foot board and his latest creation, what he calls a stratobassto.
Hayes began studying music at age 7 and formed his first band in the seventh grade. His first paying gig as a guitarist was for the high school jazz ensemble at age 15, according to a news release.
His resumé includes collaborations with The String Cheese Incident and Acoustic Junction and sharing stages with Joe Cocker, Arlo Guthrie, Railroad Earth and Tim O’Brien. He has opening shows for Dave Matthews, Sam Bush, the Subdudes, Neville Brothers and others.
Tickets to the KAFM show are $15.
Call 241-8801, ext. 223, or visit kafmradio.org for information.
Other music events in the area:
• Mike Gwinn and the North Fork Flyers, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 18, Cobble Creek Clubhouse, 699 Cobble Drive, Montrose, $15, in advance or at the door, 497-3230, http://www.skylarkconcerts2011feb.eventbrite.com.
• Marcin Arendt, Polish-American violin virtuoso with Tyme and Kathryn Mientka, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 18, Roper Music Ballroom, 130 N. Fifth St.; 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 19, Blue Sage Center in Paonia, tickets at http://www.JunctionConcerts.com, 241-0741.
• Amputators and Landgrabbers, 10 p.m. Friday, Feb. 18, Rocky Mountain Pub, 539 Colorado Ave., $6, 245-0995.
• Lobo and Sheryl Loggins, Friday, Feb. 18, Red Barn Restaurant, 1413 E. Main St., Montrose, 249-9202.
• Desert Moon, 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 19, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., 424-5354.
• Clarinet Day Final Concert, 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 19, Moss Performing Arts Center, Recital Hall, Mesa State College, 1231 N. 12th St., $10 adults, $8 seniors, $5 students, 248-1604.
• Amp Tramp, 9 p.m.-midnight Saturday, Feb. 19, Stage 12, G.J. Scores, 2445 F 3/8 Road, 245-1115.
• Hellbound Glory and Cyrus James, 10 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 19, Rocky Mountain Pub, 539 Colorado Ave., $7, 245-0995.
• Jones/Adams Duo, 10 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 19, Rockslide Brew Pub, 401 Main St., ages 21 plus, 245-2111.
• Kenny Ray and Levi Brown, Saturday, Feb. 19, Horsefly Brew Co., 2320 E. Main St., Montrose, 249-6889.
• Goodman, unplugged, 3–6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 20, Powderhorn Resort, Colorado Highway 65, Mesa, 268-5735.
• Glenn Patterson, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 23, Camp Robber, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, 240-1590.
• Walt Smith, pianist, 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 24, Il Bistro Italiano, 400 Main St., 243-8622.