Music Scene: Classical music with Peter Fletcher
A classical music program for all ages will be presented by award-winning musician Peter Fletcher at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 13, at the Central Library, Mesa County Libraries, 530 Grand Ave.
A diverse program of music from four centuries will be performed, according to a news release about the concert. Fletcher will perform selections from his 2008 CD “Music of the Baroque” released on Tower Hill Records.
Other selections that will be on the performance program include “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” from Cantata No. 147; “Chaconne in D minor” by J.S. Bach; “Usher-Waltz,” an usual and intense piece by Russian guitarist and composer Nikita Koshkin; two works from Maurice Ravel’s exquisite “Mother Goose Suite”; and music of Weiss, Albeniz, Villa-Lobos Ponce, Reuser and Grieg.
The finale, “Koyunbaba,” was written by composer/guitarist Carlo Domeniconi and is described as one of the most unique and exciting works in the classical guitar repertoire.
Fletcher’s biography at http://www.peterfletcher.com notes that the New York City musician began studying guitar at the age of 7 and made his formal performance debut at the age of 15.
His three recordings have received critical acclaim and he has appeared on television and radio programs.
Fletcher’s concert at the library is free and open to the public.
Other music events in the area:
• The Merling Trio, classical, Guest Artist Recital, Moss Performing Arts Center, Recital Hall, 1231 N. 12th St., Friday, Nov. 12, 7:30 p.m., $15 adults, $10 seniors, $5 students, 248-1604.
• Landslide featuring Teresa DeRush-Smith and Richard Cohee, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, Friday, Nov. 12, 7–10 p.m., 241-8888.
• Del Rose Chorus concert, Montrose Pavilion, 1800 Pavilion Road, Montrose, Saturday, Nov. 13, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., 249-7015.
• KMSA Metal Fest with Exussum, Black Sleep of Kali, Clinging to the Trees of a Forrest Fire and Satan’s Host, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Saturday, Nov. 13, 8:30 p.m., $12, all ages, 241-1717.
• Gordon Lightfoot, Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St., Sunday, Nov. 14, 8 p.m., tickets by phone 866-464-2626 or ticketswest.com.
• Clutch with guest 2 Cents, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Monday, Nov. 15, 8 p.m., $20 in advance, $23 day of show, all ages, 241-1717.
• Mesa State College Student Chamber Ensembles, Moss Performing Arts Center Recital Hall, 1231 N. 12th St., Monday, Nov. 15, 7:30 p.m., $10 adults, $8 seniors, $5 students/children, 248-1604.
• Cahal Dunne, songwriter, pianist and comedian from Ireland, Delta Montrose Community Concert Association, Delta Center for the Performing Arts, 822 Grand Ave., Wednesday, Nov. 17, 7:30 p.m., tickets at the door $20 adults, $5 students, 835-4480, 921-4142, 249-9154.
• Mary Lindsey Bailey, oboe and Arthur Houle, piano, Moss Performing Arts Center, Recital Hall, Mesa State College, 1231 N. 12th St., Wednesday, Nov. 17, 7:30 p.m., $10 adults, $8 seniors, $5 students/children, 248-1604.