Music Scene: Cosy Sheridan and TR Ritchie
Singer/songwriter duo Cosy Sheridan and TR Ritchie will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 8, in the intimate acoustic-friendly surroundings of the KAFM Radio Room, 1310 Ute Ave.
Sheridan and Ritchie have won a number of major songwriting contests across the country including the Kerrville Folk Festival, Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Sisters Folk Festival, Napa Valley Forth Festival, Silverton Folk Festival and Snowbird Mountain Festival in Utah, to name a few, according to a news release.
Based in Moab, Utah, the pair co-founded the Moab Folk Camp in 2008. The folk and acoustic camp for adults and high school students is every November prior to the Moab Folk Festival.
“Sheridan is frank, feisty, sublimely and devilishly funny,” wrote The Cornell Folksong Society. “She fuses myth with modern culture; Persephone with Botox.”
Ritchie performed in the early ‘80s as a street singer in Seattle’s Pike Street Market. This past summer, he accompanied Alexandra Cousteau and her Blue Legacy crew of photographers and writers on a trip through Cataract Canyon in Utah to add a musical perspective to the National Geographic-sponsored expedition. He was filmed singing “Let This Mighty River Roll,” his song for Glen Canyon.
Tickets for Saturday’s show are $15.
Call 241-8801, ext. 223, or go to kafmradio.org for information.
Other music events in the area:
• Mark Berenson, folk/classic rock, Friday, Jan. 7, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, 241-8888.
• Huey, Dewey and Louie, 9 p.m. to close Saturday, Jan. 8, Palisade Livery Saloon, 215 Main St., Palisade, 464-5449.
• KAFM Radio open house, 3–6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 8, KAFM Radio, 1310 Ute Ave., music by Project Groove, refreshments, station tours, 241-8801.
• Texas Flood, Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute, 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 8, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., 424-5354.
• “The Sound of Music” encore presented by High Desert Opera, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 8, Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St., reserve seating adults $19–$39, seniors and students $15–$35, bargain tickets $10, available at Roper Music, 523-9605 or http://www.highdesertopera.org.
• Project Groove featuring Miss Emily, 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 8, Rocky Mountain Pub, 435 Colorado Ave., 589-4553.
• Lane and Carrie, 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 8, Horsefly Brew Co., 2320 E. Main St., Montrose, 249-6889.
• Big Daddy and the Runaways, acoustic music/harmony singing, 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Jan. 8, Main Street Bagels, 559 Main St., 241-2740.
• A Little Noon Music with Alisha Bean, violin, 12:15 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 12, First United Methodist Church, 522 White Ave., 242-4850.
• Celtic Fire, music and dance show with Feast and champion Irish dance duo, 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, Montrose Pavilion in Montrose, advanced adult tickets $26, $31, $36; at the door $29–39; children $16, $21, $26, http://www.JunctionConcerts.com, 241-0741.