Music Scene: Hillbilly Casino
Hillbilly Casino will bring its honkytonk, rockabilly, psychobilly and straight up rock ‘n’ roll to town from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday, Oct. 29, at Rocky Mountain Pub, 539 Colorado Ave.
The Nashville band will perform as part of Johny Wrong’s 35th B-Day Bash.
Nic Roulette, former singer for Indiana rockabilly band The Blue Moon Boys, relocated to Nashville in 2004. Roulette along with bassist Geoff Firebaugh, guitarist Ronnie Crutcher and drummer Andrew Dickson started playing together for tips at Layla’s Bluegrass Inn in Nashville.
Hillbilly Casino now performs more than 200 shows a year at theatres, clubs and bars from California to Norway, according to http://www.thehillbillycasino.com.
Hillbilly Casino has three full length CDs — “Sucker Punched” released in 2006; “Three Step Windup,” 2008; and “Hang Your Stockings ... Say Your Prayers,” a 2008 Christmas CD.
Admission is $10 for the 21 and older show.
Call 589-6229 or go to http://www.thehillbillycasino.com for information.
Other music events in the area:
• The Stupid Band, 23rd Stupid Halloween Bash, Turn of the Century Saloon, 117 N. Fourth St., Montrose, Friday, Oct. 29, doors open 8 p.m., $10 plus a nonperishable food item, 201-1419.
• Dualakoo, Halloween party, Rockslide Brew Pub, 401 Main St., 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., Friday, Oct. 29, ages 21 plus, 858-7675.
• Dead Sexy, music, lights, dancing, Chupiro’s Place, 122 S. Fifth St., Friday, Oct. 29, doors 9 p.m., $3, ages 21 plus, 216-1775.
• Haven Effect, Halloween party, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, Friday, Oct. 29, 7–10 p.m., ages 21 plus, 858-7675.
• Do or Die and Johnny P featuring the Tragik Boys, Stryker and M.F.T., Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St., Friday, Oct. 29, 8 p.m., advance tickets $20 general admission, $28 at the door, $40 VIP (includes meet and greet with Do or Die at Hastings), tickets at City Market stores in Grand Junction, Delta, Montrose and Clifton, http://www.club303entertainment.com, 623-6265.
• Mesa State College Faculty Woodwind Quintet Halloween Children’s Concert, First United Methodist Church, 522 White Ave., Saturday, Oct. 30, 11 a.m., free, http://www.mesastate.edu/moss, 248-1604.
• Dead Cowboyz, rock, Halloween bash, Stage 12, GJ Scores, 2445 F 3/8 Road, Saturday, Oct. 30, 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., ages 21 plus, costume contest 11 p.m., 640-2742.
• Hill Street Studios, Halloween dance and party, hosted by New Horizon Vocational Center, Center for Independence, 740 Gunnison Ave., Sunday, Oct. 31, 6–8 p.m., $5 per person, ages 10 and younger free, food available for purchase, games 25 cents each, 241-0315, http://www.cfigj.org.
• Meditations and the New World, Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra with guest Elinor Frey, cello, Grand Junction High School auditorium, 1400 N. Fifth St., Tuesday, Nov. 2, Classical Conversation in the concert hall 6:30 p.m., concert 7:30 p.m., $15, $20, $25, students with ID $5, 243-6787, http://www.gjsymphony.org.
• Darol Anger, Scott Law and Sharon Gilchrist, The Paradise Theater, 215 Grand Ave, Paonia, Thursday, Nov. 4, 7:30 p.m., purchase tickets in Paonia at KVNF, Expressions Bookstore, The Paradise Theater and Homestead Market, by phone 527-4791 or online http://www.pickinproductions.com.