Music Scene: Stray Grass
Local bluegrass band Stray Grass will entertain during The Sundowner — Smokin’ Grills and Bluegrass, a birthday bash celebrating Palisade Sunrise Rotary’s first year of service in the community.
The event is from 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday, June 11, at the Wine Country Inn, 777 Grande River Drive in Palisade.
According to the band’s Facebook page, “Stray Grass specializes in a high-energy interpretation of acoustic music. Although played on traditional instruments (most of the time), the musical stylings of Stray Grass are anything but traditional.”
The trio’s album “Written in the Stars” was reviewed by national publication Bluegrass Unlimited (bluegrassmusic.com), which wrote: “Stray Grass is a Colorado trio with their musical feet planted somewhere between folk and bluegrass, as influences of Hot Rize and New Grass Revival creep into their repertoire. The trio is Gary Tullio on mandolin and vocals, Guy Stephens on guitar and vocals, and Pete Langford on bass. The instrument arrangements are subtly placed with the mandolin and guitar complementing each other, the bass providing a solid bottom, and Tullio’s and Stephens’ harmonies blending well together throughout.”
Stray Grass is also scheduled to perform June 17 at the sold-out Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Telluride.
Tickets to the birthday bash are $40 and will feature a delicious mixed style grill. Proceeds will benefit projects including School District 51 and the John McConnell Math and Science Center of Western Colorado.
Other music events in the area:
• Jimmie Dale Gilmore, singer/songwriter, with guests Heidi Claire and Ron Thomason of The Wronglers, 8:30 p.m. Friday, June 10, Turn of the Century Saloon, 117 N. Fourth St., Montrose, $10, tickets at Studio Ten Eleven Hair Designs, 1011 S. Townsend and Riddled Raven, 24 S. Grand Ave., and at the door, 201-1419.
• Vintage Voltage, classic rock, 7 p.m. Friday, June 10, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, on the patio, 241-8888.
• Lobo and Sheryl Loggins, 9 p.m. Friday, June 10, Red Barn Restaurant, 1413 E. Main St., 249-9202.
• Middle School Music Camp final concert, 1:30 p.m. Friday, June 10, Moss Performing Arts Center, Mesa State College, 1231 N. 12th St., 248-1163.
• Shotgun Hodown and Viva Le Vox, Friday, June 10, Rocky Mountain Pub, 539 Colorado Ave., 946-8394.
• Palisade Bluegrass and Roots Music Festival, Friday, June 10, Blue Canyon Boys, The Belleville Outfit; Saturday, June 11, James Justin and Co., Rockin’ Acoustic Circus, David Lindley, The Greencards, and Junior Brown, Sunday, June 12, Della Mae, Henhouse Prowlers, Missy Raines and the New Hip, and The Grascals, Riverbend Park in Palisade, food, artisans, children’s activities, wines, micro-brews, on-site camping, 464-5602 http://www.palisademusic.com.
• Jack + Jill, 9 p.m.-midnight Friday, June 10, RJ’s Steakhouse, 2323 S. Grand Mesa Drive, Cedaredge, http://www.jackplusjill.com, 856-3841.
• Ronstadt Generations, representing the multi-cultural roots America was founded upon, 7 p.m. Saturday, June 11, KAFM Radio Room, 1310 Ute Ave., $15, space limited, meet the artist reception plus concert $25, 241-8801, ext. 223, kafmradio.org.
• Gloria Palefsky, 6 p.m. Saturday, June 11, Camp Robber, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, 240-1590.
• The Grand Junction Rockestra opening concert, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, June 11, Moss Performing Arts Center, Robinson Theatre, Mesa State College, 1231 N. 12th St., $15-$20, tickets at the Grand Junction Symphony office, 225 N. Fifth St., Suite 120, by phone, 243-6787, or online, http://www.gjsymphony.org.
• Dualakoo, 7 p.m. Saturday, June 11, The Hot Tomato, 124 N. Mulberry St., Fruita, $5, 858-1117.
• James Williams, 7-9 p.m. Saturday, June 11, Rockslide Brew Pub, 401 Main St., 245-2111.
• Porchlights, 7 p.m. Saturday, June 11, Horsefly Brew Co., 2320 E. Main St., Montrose, 249-6889.
• Ofay Soul, 9 p.m.-closing Saturday, June 11, Palisade Livery Saloon, 215 Main St., Palisade, 464-5449.
• Jack + Jill, first year anniversary, 1-4 p.m. Saturday, June 11, Palisade Brewery, 200 Peach Ave., 464-1462.
• MaryAnn and Marty Rathburn, piano, guitar and vocals, Chapel of the Cross Summer Music Series, 2 p.m. Sunday, June 12, Pioneer Town, 315 S.W. Third Ave., Cedaredge, admission by donation, 210-0471.
• Rob “Chicken Fatt” Mitchell, 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 15, The Hot Tomato, 124 N. Mulberry St., Fruita, 858-1117.
• Rusty Strings, 6 p.m. Wednesday, June 15, Camp Robber, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, 240-1590.
• Blues Jam, hosted by Huey, 8 p.m. Wednesday, June 15, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., 424-5354.
• The Fifth Reel, Celtic, oldies and dance music, Chapel of the Cross Summer Music Series, 7 p.m. Thursday, June 16, Pioneer Town, 315 S.W. Third Ave., Cedaredge, admission by donation, 210-0471.
• Telluride Bluegrass Festival, in Telluride, Thursday through Sunday, June 16-19, featuring Robert Plant and Band of Joy, Mumford and Sons, Sarah McLachlan, The Decemberists, Emmylou Harris, Yonder Mountain String Band, the Telluride House Band, and more, sold out, http://www.bluegrass.com.