Music Scene: Week of Aug. 13, 2010
And the new American Idol is Taylor Hicks.
That’s how season five played out May 24, 2006, when the Alabama native took the top honor — 36.4 million viewers tuned in and 63 million votes were cast to name him winner.
Hicks and The Taylor Hicks Band are on a 20-city national tour and will perform at 9 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 19, at Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St. The tour began July 25 in New York City and will take the singer to venues across the country through the end of August.
According to his bio at http://www.taylorhicks.com, Hicks’ self-titled album (released by Arista in December 2006) debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, with first week sales of 298,000 copies — quickly certifying it RIAA platinum.
He has performed with Willie Nelson, Snoop Dog, Gladys Knight, Earth Wind and Fire and The Allman Brothers. He has given concerts worldwide and penned a brisk-selling Random House autobiography, “Heart Full of Soul.”
Tickets for the all ages show are $25.
Call 241-1717 for more information.
Other music events in the area:
• The Reggae Festival featuring Lion Vibes and guests The Pineapple Crackers, Maka B, Western Colorado Botanical Gardens Summer Festival Series, Elizabeth B. Harris Amphitheatre, 655 Struthers Ave., Friday, Aug. 13, gates open 5 p.m., show 6 p.m., $17.50 in advance, $22.50 at the gate, ages 12 and under free, tickets at area City Market stores, the Muse in Fruita and botanical gardens offices, no outside food, drink or coolers along, food vendors available and alcoholic beverages for ages 21 and older with ID, no dogs, 858-7675.
• Post Punk Scream-o Fest with Victory Heights, My Trusty Sixshot, Dinosaur the Musical, Our Only Escape and The Summer Soundtrack, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Friday, Aug. 13, 8:30 p.m., $10, all ages, 241-1717.
• Billy Faier, banjo, Starr’s Guitars, 250 W. Main St., Cedaredge, Friday, Aug. 13, 7-9 p.m., $10, 856-2331, http://www.billyfaier.com.
• Desert Moon, country rock, Triple Tree Tavern, 201 Second St., Clifton, Friday, Aug. 13, 7 p.m., 434-9428.
• The SwampCoolers, Grand Valley Pub, 101 Cardinal Way, Parachute, Friday and Saturday, Aug. 13–14, 285-9616.
• Michael Martin Murphey’s Westfest, Garfield County Fairgrounds, Rifle, Friday through Sunday, Aug. 13–15, featuring Murphey, Don Edwards, Waddie Mitchell, Patty Loveless, Peter Rowan, Ryan Murphey, cowgirl poet Sarah Murphey, Craig Morgan, James Otto, James Burton, Doyle Dykes, Pat Flynn, Bill Miller, Carin Mari and Pony Express, an outdoors exhibition, vendors and more, tickets and schedule at http://www.westfest.us/ticketsalesseating/, Murdoch’s Ranch and Home Supply in Clifton or Western Slope Trailer Sales in Rifle.
• KAFM RadioDaze Festival, on the patio, Kannah Creek Brewing Co., 1960 N. 12th St., Saturday, Aug. 14, noon–closing, featuring Eagles on Highway, Flat Top Reed, Jack and Jill, North 17th St. Band, Project Groove with Miss Emily and Will Whalen, sales of 16-watt ale benefit KAFM, 241-8801.
• Vintage Voltage, ‘60s and ‘70s classic rock and blues, GJ Scores Bowling and Entertainment Complex, 2445 F 3/8 Road, Saturday, Aug. 14, 9 p.m.–midnight, 248-0777.
• Alan Vigil, Camp Robber Cafe, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, Saturday, Aug. 14, 6 p.m., 240-1590.
• Electric Concert of the Year featuring DJ Plato, sound and light show, Two Rivers Convention Center, 159 Main St., Saturday, Aug. 14, doors open 8 p.m., show 9 p.m.–1 a.m., $20, 366-9065.
• Howard Berkman, Horsefly Brew Co., 2320 E. Main St., Montrose, Saturday, Aug. 14, 7 p.m., 249-6889.
• Carrie Claxton and Friends, singer/songwriter, Chapel of the Cross Summer Concert Series, Pioneer Town, Cedaredge, Sunday, Aug. 15, 2 p.m., 210-0471.
• Shotgun Party, Texas swing/roots/country, from Austin, Texas, Coffee Muggers, 644 Main St., Monday, Aug. 16, 4–6 p.m., 241-1968, http://www.coffeemuggers.com.
• Influx, Jazz Among the Grapevines, Two Rivers Winery, 2087 Broadway, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 7 p.m., take a picnic and lawn chair, wine available by the glass or bottle, $10, tickets at The Art Center and Two Rivers Winery, proceeds benefit The Art Center, 260-8866.
• John Prine with opening guest Carrie Rodriguez, Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St., Tuesday, Aug. 17, $39.50, $59.50 limited gold circle advance, tickets at TicketsWest.com and City Market stores, 263-5700.
• Los Lonely Boys, Montrose Pavilion, 1800 Pavilion Road, Montrose, Wednesday, Aug. 18, 7:30 p.m., $39 reserved tickets, TicketsWest.com 243-8497.
• Paul Chamberlain, Camp Robber, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, Wednesday, Aug. 18, 6 p.m., 240-1590.
• Ron Miles Quartet, high-caliber jazz from Denver, Pickin’ in the Park, third annual summer concert series, Paonia Town Park, Paonia, Thursday, Aug. 19, 6 p.m.–dark, free, food available to purchase or take a picnic, http://www.pickinproductions.com.