Music Scene: Week of July 23, 2010
You could spend a lot of time trying to figure out who Fishtank Ensemble might sound like, but in the end, you’ll come to the conclusion that it is a band like none you have ever heard.
Fishtank Ensemble incorporates a musical saw, jazz guitar, trombone, accordion and banjolele into flamenco, French hot jazz, wild Serbian and Transylvanian gypsy anthems.
The Los Angeles band will perform at 8 p.m. Thursday, July 29, the KAFM Radio Room, 1310 Ute Ave.
LA Weekly called the band “cross pollinated gypsy music ... one of the most thrilling young acts on the planet.”
Formed in 2005, Fishtank Ensemble has played LA clubs, festivals, cultural centers, museums, parades and even on the street.
According to a news release, vocalist Ursula Knudson won second place in the 2004 International (Musical) Saw Festival. She also sings in Romanian, Romanes, Rom, French, Italian, Serbian, Japanese and sometimes in her native tongue: English.
Slap bass player Djordje Stijepovic, who was a member of several leading Serbian bands, also played for rockabilly bands Atomic Sunset, Deke Dickerson, Slim Jim Phantom (from Stray Cats) and Lemmy (from Motorhead).
Go to http://www.fishtankensemble.com to learn more about the band and listen to a sound clip.
Tickets are $15 and can be purchased by calling 241-8801, ext. 223, or go to http://www.kafmradio.org.
Other music events in the area:
• Bob and Ray, acoustic rock, DoubleTree Hotel patio, 743 Horizon Drive, Friday, July 23, 7 p.m., 241-8888.
• King ‘n’ His Naughty Bunnies, soul, funk, rock, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., Friday and Saturday, July 23–24, 10 p.m., $5, http://www.myspace.com/manlyagenda, 589-6229.
• Bad Karma Kings, lounge stage show, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., 9 p.m., Friday, July 23, ages 21 plus, $5, 241-1717.
• Carbondale Mountain Fair, Sopris Park, Carbondale, Friday–Sunday, July 23–25, full schedule at http://www.carbondalearts.com, 963-1680.
• American Idol auditions, Ashley Furniture Homestore, 655 N. First St., Saturday, July 24, must register 1 p.m., July 23, at the store, ages 15–28, those under 18 must have a legal parent or guardian present, http://www.KREXTV.com, http://www.americanidol.com.
• “The Mikado” presented by High Desert Opera, Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St., Saturday, July 24, 7:30 p.m., $19, $29, $39, 523-9605, http://www.highdesertopera.org.
• Western Slope Summer Electronic Music Fest, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Saturday, July 24, 9 p.m., ages 18 plus, 241-1717.
• All My Brother’s Band and XXX, a ZZ Top tribute band, Hear it Through the Grapevine Summer Concert Series, Grande River Vineyards, 787 N. Elberta, Palisade, Saturday, July 24, gates open 6:30 p.m., show 7:30 p.m., $17 advance, $20 at the door, take a lawn chair, no beverages may be brought in, dinner and wine for purchase by the bottle or glass, soft drinks and water available, 464-5867, granderierwines.com.
• Donny Morales, Camp Robber Cafe, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, Saturday, July 24, 6 p.m., 240-1590.
• Stray Grass, bluegrass/Americana with a new acoustic flair, Palisade Brewery, 200 Peach Ave., Saturday, July 24, 6:30 p.m., $3, 464-7257.
• Lisa Lingo, Mesa Lakes Resort Summer Concert Series, 3619 Colorado Highway 65, Grand Mesa, Saturday and Sunday, July 24-25, 2 p.m., dinner/cabin reservations 268-5467.
• Flat Top Reed, Triple Tree Lounge, 201 Second St., Clifton, Saturday, July 24, 7 p.m., 434-9428.
• Finn Riggins from Boise, Idaho, with Jones/Adams Duo and Dinosaur the Musical, KAFM Radio Room, 1310 Ute Ave., Sunday, July 25, doors open 6 p.m., show at 7 p.m., admission by donation, http://www.finnriggins.com, 216-5534, 640-6518.
• The Widowmakers, DoubleTree Hotel patio, 743 Horizon Drive, Wednesday, July 28, 7 p.m., 241-8888.
• Susan Walton, Camp Robber Cafe, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, Wednesday, July 28, 6 p.m., 240-1590.
• Mario Asti, funk jazz with Project Groove, Grand Junction native on tour from Kansas City, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., Wednesday, July 28, 589-6229.
• Chuchito Valdes, 25th annual Summer of Jazz, Two Rivers Park, Glenwood Springs, Wednesday, July 28, 7 p.m., free, take a picnic; vendors will sell snacks and refreshments, 948-4923, http://www.summerofjazz.com.
• Tantric with Burn Halo and Adema, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Thursday, July 29, 9 p.m., 241-1717.
• Aspen Glow Trio, flute, viola, cello, Chapel of the Cross Summer Concert Series, Pioneer Town, Cedaredge, Thursday, July 29, 7 p.m., 210-0471.
• King’n Trio, originals and classics, Thursday Night Concert Series, Fruita Civic Center Pavilion, 325 E. Aspen Ave., Thursday, July 29, 7:30–9 p.m., take blankets and chairs, 858-0360, http://www.fruita.org.