Music Scene: Week of June 11, 2010
Music and camping along the Colorado River is just part of what the Palisade Bluegrass and Roots Music Festival has to offer.
Local wines and brews will be for sale and musical workshops will be offered in the Family Tent, giving people the opportunity to learn more about the musicians and instruments. There also will be an area for children’s activities.
The Palisade Bluegrass and Roots Music Festival is Friday through Sunday, June 11–13, at Riverbend Park in Palisade. Formerly the Hotchkiss North Fork Bluegrass & Roots Festival, the festival moved to Palisade last year.
The festival will open and bands will start at 5:30 p.m. Friday continuing until 9 p.m. Bands will perform from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Sunday.
The festival lineup includes national acts Hot Buttered Rum and Asleep at the Wheel, as well as area bands Stray Grass and Sweet Sunny South.
Single-day tickets range from $35 on Friday to $55 on Saturday. Those age 12 and younger are free. Multi-day tickets and tickets with camping privileges also are available.
Go to http://www.palisademusic.com for ticket and camping information.
Other music events in the area:
• March Fourth Marching Band, mobile big band spectacular, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Friday, June 11, 9 p.m., $15 ages 18 plus, 241-1717, http://www.mesatheater.com.
• The SwampCoolers, Bub’s Field Sports Pub and Grille, 715 Horizon Drive, Friday, June 11, 8–11 p.m., 243-2827.
• Desert Moon, countrified rock ‘n’ roll, Palisade Brewing Co., 200 Peach Ave., Palisade, Friday, June 11, 6:30 p.m., 464-1462.
• Ken Dravis, Bailey’s Lounge patio, Grand Vista Hotel, 2790 Crossroads Blvd., Friday and Saturday, June 11–12, 7–10 p.m., 241-8411.
• The Jay Ketchem Band, Whiskey River, 490 28 1/4 Road, Friday and Saturday, June 11–12, 241-5179.
• Jack and Jill, alternative folk rock, DoubleTree Hotel patio, 743 Horizon Drive, Friday, June 11, 7 p.m., 241-8888.
• Whiskey Jack Boys, classic/popular country, third annual Parachute Music in the Park, Cottonwood Park, Parachute, Saturday, June 12, 1:30–4:30 p.m., take lawn chairs, nonalcoholic beverages.
• Desert Moon, countrified rock ‘n’ roll, The Ale House, 2531 N. 12th St., Saturday, June 12, 7 p.m., 242-7253.
• Ride the Rockies’ Bands and Brews Garden, Mesa State College campus, Saturday, June 12, noon to 9 p.m.: entertainment by DJ Nate Watchman, noon to 4 p.m.; Zac Grant Band, 4–6:30 p.m.; Michael Martin Murphey, 6:30–7 p.m.; Influx Jazz, 7–9 p.m. Sunday, June 13, noon to 9 p.m.: opening ceremony, 7–7:30 a.m., with Peggy Malone and Jessica Garton; entertainment by DJ Aaron Markham, noon–3 p.m.; Brandon Lucas Band, 3–5 p.m.; Tim Brown Band, 5–7 p.m.; Pineapple Crackers, 7–9 p.m. 244-1480.
• The Original Wailers, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Sunday, June 13, 9 p.m., $20, ages 18 plus, http://www.myspace.com/originalwailers, 241-1717.
• Ray Carpenter, country/gospel guitar and vocals, Chapel of the Cross Summer Concert Series, Pioneer Town, Cedaredge, Sunday, June 13, 2 p.m., 210-0471.
• The Centennial Band, The Atrium, 3260 N. 12th St., Monday, June 14, 7 p.m., 255-1005, ropermusic.com/centennialband.html.
• Walt Smith Trio, smooth jazz, Jazz Among the Grapevines, Two Rivers Winery, 2087 Broadway, Tuesday, June 15, 7 p.m., $10, tickets at the Art Center, and Two Rivers Winery or at the gate, wine available by the glass or bottle, benefits The Arts Center, take a picnic and lawn chair, 260-8866.
• Howard Berkman, Camp Robber Cafe, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, Wednesday, June 16, 240-1590.
• The Centennial Band with the Barry Tuckwell Institute Horn Choir, Mesa State College, outside Moss Performing Arts Center, 1231 N. 12th St., Thursday, June 17, 7 p.m., 255-1005, ropermusic.com/centennialband.html.
• Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Telluride, Thursday through Sunday, June 17–20, 800-624-2422, http://www.bluegrass.com/telluride.
• Flat Top Reed, rockin’ blues, Thursday Night Concert Series, Fruita Civic Center Pavilion, 325 E. Aspen Ave., Thursday, June 17, 7:30–9 p.m., take blankets and chairs, 858-0360, http://www.fruita.org.