Music Scene: Week of March 5, 2010
After a hiatus, Jay Ketchem is back on the music scene in the Grand Valley. The Jay Ketchem Band will play from 8 p.m. to midnight Friday, March 5, at Whiskey River, 490 28 1/4 Road. Cover charge is $10.
Ketchem has been selling real estate for Bray Realty, but has had the itch to get back into music. After kicking around the idea, he got some guys together for a band and jumped back in. Band members are James Kolb, vocals and drums; Chad Schlict, lead guitar and vocals; and Mark Ramsey, bass and vocals.
“It’s tough times (in real estate), but going well. That type of job affords the flexibility for me to perform,” Ketchem said.
And once it’s in your blood, you can only stay away for so long, he said.
“Even though I’ve been gone the last couple of years, people still call the radio station asking for my songs. It’s been a warm welcome coming back. We’re having a lot of fun,” Ketchem said.
Not only does Ketchem and his band have several upcoming gigs at Whiskey River, but they will play once a month at the newly opened Whiskey River in Greeley, as well as the Holiday Inn in Craig.
“We’ve never done any private parties and we’re going to start doing those,” he said.
Private party or on stage at a local venue, the audience can expect high-energy country music, current country, dance music and some rock.
“We’re even playing some Nickelback, Finger Eleven and some Buckcherry — a nice variety so everyone can be entertained,” Ketchem said.
Call Ketchem at 260-2088 for booking information or go to jayketchem.com.
Other music events in the area:
• Imagine, Beatles tribute band, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., doors open 8 p.m. Friday, March 5, $12, all ages, 241-1717.
• Goodman Band, Fast Eddy’s, 1224 N. 25th St., 9 p.m. Friday, March 5, 241-7008.
• Desert Moon, D.J.‘s Roadhouse, 3112 I-70 Business Loop, 9:30 p.m. Friday, March 5–6, 523-9960.
• Huey, Dewey and Louie, rock, country, blues, Quincy Bar, 609 Main St., 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday, March 5, 242-9633.
• Patterson Brothers, The Belly, 309 E. Main St., Montrose, Friday, March 5, 252-1488.
• Flashback, ‘80s rock, Boomers, 436 Main St., 9 p.m. Friday, March 5, $7, 248-9022.
• Dem Bones and Shotgun Hodown, Mesa Theater and Club, 536 Main St., 9 p.m. to midnight Friday, March 5, $5, ages 21 plus, 271-1717.
• Goodman Band, Quincy Bar, 609 Main St., 9 p.m. Saturday, March 6, 242-9633.
• Vintage Voltage, psychedelic ‘60s and ‘70s classic rock, Boomers, 436 Main St., 9 p.m. Saturday, March 6, $7, vintagevoltageband.com, 248-9022.
• Izzy and The Kesstronics with The Tankerays, swing/rock from Brooklyn, N.Y., Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., 9 p.m. Saturday, March 6, $3, 589-6229.
• The Creepshow with The Insomniaxe, psychobilly, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., 9 p.m. Monday, March 8, $4, 589-6229.
• Celtica Sinfonia 2010, Celtic band Feast and Mystic Force, champion Irish step-dancers, Western Slope Concert Series, Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St., 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday, March 11–12, $23 in advance, $26 at the door for adults, $15 advance ages 12 and under, $17 at the door, ticket at City Market stores in the Grand Valley, Delta and Hotchkiss, 241-0741, http://www.JunctionConcerts.com.
• Dee Harthan, Canyon Creek Bed and Breakfast, 820 E. Main St., Montrose, Thursday, March 11, 249-2886.