Music Scene: Week of May 28, 2010
A frequent performer in the Grand Valley, Jill Cohn is touring western Colorado and eastern Utah venues in a continuing effort to promote her eighth CD, “Every Street Inside of You — Mexico City.”
The Seattle-based singer/songwriter and pianist also is touring with Bay Area guitarist Dave Sampson, and the two will perform a free show at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 1, at Palisade Brewery, 200 Peach Ave., in Palisade.
Sampson, who met Cohn while she was touring in California, “has roots in both Austin and Nashville and brings a fresh array of sounds and textures to Cohn’s music,” according to a news release.
Cohn wrote the music for “Every Street Inside of You — Mexico City” (2008) during two years she lived in Mexico City. There she traveled with dreams of newfound inspiration after suffering a year of writer’s block.
Learn more about Cohn at http://www.jillcohn.com.
Call the Palisade Brewery at 464-7257 for more information about the show.
Other music events in the area:
• Howard Berkman and Big Bottom, blues, Lounge 743, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, Friday, May 28, 8 p.m., ages 21 plus, 241-8888.
• Desert Rocks Music Festival continues, Saturday and Sunday, May 29–30, Moab, Utah, includes national headliners in rock, bluegrass hip hop, funk, reggae, folk and jam bands; food, clothing, craft and art vendors, full schedule at http://www.desertrocks.org.
• Jason Hunter Band, The Belly, 309 E. Main St., Montrose, Friday, May 28, 9 p.m., 252-1488.
• Cody Crump, benefit concert for Pennies for Peace, Turn of the Century Saloon, 117 N. Fourth St., Montrose, Friday, May 28, 7 p.m., 201-1419.
• Whiskey Throttle, rockabilly, surf, garage, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., Saturday, May 29, 10 p.m., $5, ages 21 plus, http://www.myspace.com/whiskeythrottledenver, 589-6229.
• Cogswell with AK Allstars, acoustic, blues, progressive, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., Saturday, May 29, 10 p.m., $5, ages 21 plus, http://www.myspace.com/adamleecogswell, 589-6229.
• Time Served and Motorcycle Dino Tune-up, Rocky Mountain Pub, 539 Colorado Ave., Saturday, May 29, 245-0995.
• Ric Gaines, The Ale House, 2531 N. 12th St., Saturday, May 29, 5–8 p.m., 201-1254.
• Jerry Hahn, James Smith, Endre Balogh and Eric Nohe perform as part of the International Guitar Festival, hosted by the Mesa State College guitar studio, Mesa State College, Moss Performing Arts Center, Robinson Theatre, 1231 N. 12th St., Tuesday, June 1, 7 p.m., $10 adults, $8 seniors, $5 students, 248-1604.
• Making Waves with Leonardo, surf rockin’ coconut shakin’ hula hoopin’ interactive concert celebrating reading under the sun, Mesa County Libraries, Tuesday, June 1: Palisade Branch, 711 Iowa Ave., Palisade, 10 a.m.; Orchard Mesa Branch, 230 Lynwood St., 1 p.m.; Central Library, 530 Grand Ave., 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 2: Central Library, 530 Grand Ave., 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Thursday, June 3: Fruita Branch, 325 E. Aspen Ave., 10 a.m.; De Beque Branch, 730 Minter Ave., 12:30 p.m., 243-4442.
• Rise Records Tour with In Fear and Faith, The Bled, Of Mice and Men, The Color of Morale, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Wednesday, June 2, 8 p.m., $12, 241-1717.
• Zona, Camp Robber Cafe, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, Wednesday, June 2, 6 p.m., 240-1590.
• Drunken Immortals, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., Thursday, June 3, 10 p.m., $5, ages 21 plus, 589-6229.
• “Dr. Mary” Kleinsorge, classical flamenco guitar and vocals, Chapel of the Cross Summer Concert Series, Pioneer Town, Cedaredge, Thursday, June 3, 7 p.m., 210-0471.