Briefs: Local News October 09, 2008
Catholic Foundation event set
• The annual Catholic Foundation Western Slope dinner will begin at 5:30 p.m. Friday at Immaculate Heart of Mary’s parish hall. The event will feature Dr. Ray Guarendi, a clinical psychologist, author and host of his own show on Eternal Word Television Network radio.
Individual tickets cost $8. Tickets for tables of eight also can be purchased. For information, call 800-354-2729, extension 131.
Energy events slated in Delta
• DELTA — The Alternative Energy Expo will take place Oct. 17 and 18 at the Bill Heddles Recreation Center in Delta.
A related event, “Amp Up your Energy IQ” with Randy Udall, will take place at 7 p.m. Friday at the Delta County Center for the Performing Arts, 822 Grand Ave. Cost is $20.
For information, call 527-5307, extension 203.
Amendment 51 meeting set
• Mesa Developmental Services, 950 Grand Ave., will have a meeting about Amendment 51 at 5 p.m. Oct. 15. The amendment, if approved by voters, would increase state sales tax one-tenth of a percent to pay for programs for the developmentally disabled. For information, call 245-5775.
Frame sales to help charity
• The Frame Depot is celebrating National Picture Framing month with its annual Framing for Food event Oct. 20-31. For each can of nonperishable food donated, customers will receive $1 off the price of a new frame up to half the total order. For information, call 245-6999 or visit http://www.framedepot.com.
GJ woman in state pageant
• Ashley Semadeni of Grand Junction is a contestant in the Miss Colorado USA pageant. Semadeni is a graduate of Central High School and is attending Colorado State University in Fort Collins.
Police academy receives cars
• The city of Grand Junction gave four used police cars to Mesa State College to be used by the Western Colorado Peace Officers Academy. The cars are equipped with light bars and sirens.
Military Day picnic Sunday
• Joint Military Family Day will take place from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at Canyon View Park. All military service members and their families are welcome to enjoy live music, giveaways, kid activities and lunch. For information, call 720-847-8495.