Fire leaves Pear Park family homeless

A family was forced to spend Thanksgiving in a motel room after a chimney fire caused thousands of dollars in damage to their Pear Park home Tuesday night.

Clifton Fire Protection District firefighters were called to the house at 496 30 3/4 Road around 9:20 p.m. and found smoke and fire had spread from the chimney into the attic. Four adults and two children were home at the time and had a fire going in the fireplace.

Firefighters said the fire appeared to have been started by some kind of obstruction in the chimney. They said residents should have fireplaces, chimneys, furnaces and other devices used to heat homes inspected and tested before they’re used for the first time during cold-weather months.

The residents were able to escape the home uninjured, but the fire left a large hole in the roof and forced them out, according to Scott Cline, emergency service program manager for the western Colorado chapter of the American Red Cross.

The Red Cross provided funds to the family for food and a motel room, where the family will stay at least through tonight, Cline said. He said the family’s landlord is trying to find another place for them to live.

Firefighters estimated the damage at $25,000. It took them about 40 minutes to get the blaze under control.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy