History Here and Now Column July 10, 2009
From 1909 to 1972, the 400 block of Rood Avenue was the location of three buildings that were beautiful architectural examples. Now, only one of these buildings remains.
The Federal Building, at the corner of Fourth Street and Rood Avenue, was built as the Grand Junction Post Office in 1915 and was used until 1965, when the new post office was built at North Fourth Street and White Avenue.
The U.S. government has preserved this building and has done a great deal of restoration work on it. It is now known as the Wayne N. Aspinall Federal Building.
The building in the middle was the Masonic Lodge. It was dedicated on Jan. 2, 1923. It was reported in The Daily Sentinel that on the registry list there were hundreds of names of visitors and many from outside the state and of Masons from lodges around the Western Slope.
More than a thousand people attended the dedication that day.
The building on the right is the YMCA, Young Men’s Christian Association.
William Moyer, who owned the Fair store at the corner of Fifth and Main, was one of the driving forces behind the construction of the YMCA.
During the Uranium boom of the 1950s the YMCA became known as the Uranium Building. It housed offices and was also home to the Bamboo Lounge.
Both the Masonic Lodge and the YMCA were scrapped in the early 1970s to make way for Valley Federal Bank, which opened for business in 1974.
Valley Federal Bank was closed in the Saving & Loan scandal in the 1980s. Alpine Bank is located there now.
Kathy Jordan is retired from The Daily Sentinel and involved in many preservation efforts, including the Avalon Theatre, the railroad depot and the North Seventh Street Historic Residential District.