HW: Your Town Column May 03, 2009
Time and the elements are against me.
I have tried for the past few weeks to plant some pretty flowers in a brick garden area in the backyard, but I can’t seem to get the project done, let alone started.
Mother Nature’s fickle spring weather hasn’t made it any easier. Had I started the project on my terms, I would have had to shovel out the snow accumulation first.
Who knows if it will get done this weekend. Although it’s at the top of the “things to do list,” when I rearrange the list in order of priority, it somehow shifts to the bottom.
I’ve already bypassed the April showers bringing May flowers, so I best look ahead to Junes droughts bring hearty July sprouts?
Curtis Swift from the CSU Extension office will present a How to Compost class at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Mesa County Library, 530 Grand Ave.
Call 683-2437 for information.
• Have you considered helping out at the homeless shelter?
Homeward Bound of the Grand Valley will have a training class for volunteers beginning at 9 a.m. May 16 at 2853 North Ave.
The course is provided by Jordan
McInnis, the shelter’s program director. Successful completion of the three-to four-hour class is a prerequisite for anyone wanting to work with the homeless shelter guests.
• The Mesa County Women’s Network meeting May 12 will feature guest speaker Nina Anderson, from Express Personnel, with a presentation on time management called “Make Time Work for You.”
The meeting is from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Two Rivers Convention Center.
The donation recipient for the meeting will be the Cancer Survivorship Program.
Cost for the meeting and luncheon is $12. Pre-register by noon May 8 by using the tab at Web site http://www.mcwn.org.
Call Brenda Watson at 261-3446 for information.
• The American Association of University Women will meet at 11:30 a.m. May 12 in the third floor training room, of the Mesa County Courthouse Annex, 544 Rood Ave.
Betty Bechtel will discuss implications of the Pay Equity Act.
Call 245-1425 for information.
• The Battlement Mesa Activity Center will sponsor its annual communitywide yard sale Saturday in the Battlement Mesa and Parachute areas.
Shopping is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A guide listing the location of all the sales will be available at the Activity Center, Mesa Vista Assisted Living and Parachute Parks and Recreation.
A number of households and organizations will participate in the event.
Call Fran at 285-9480 for information.
• A family peer group for family members of combat veterans dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, family issues and more will be from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Grand Junction Veterans Center, 2472 Patterson Road, Unit 16.
The group will provide support through education, communication and social bonding. Call 245-4156 for information.
Submit your Planner and community news items by e-mail to communitynews@
gjsentinel.com, by fax at 244-8578, or by mail to P.O. Box 668, Grand Junction, CO, 81502. Items to be considered for Your Town should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event.