Music Scene: Week of April 9, 2010
Tuba punk and trombone rock is what Mount Righteous is all about.
The nine-piece “anti-orchestra” from Grapevine, Texas, will perform with The Numerators from 5:30–8:30 p.m. Thursday, April 15, at The Loft, 534 N. First St.
According to the band’s news release bio, “Mount Righteous, featuring mostly acoustic instrumentation, has been known to perform without the use of amplifiers or microphones, relying on the thunderous rumble of sousaphone, trombone, trumpet and marching drums, the melodic intricacy of piccolo, melodica, bells and guitar and the power of eight harmonized voices lifted in jubilant abandon.”
This spring, Mount Righteous is touring Western states to promote its self-titled CD released in early April.
The Dallas/Forth Worth-area band has been nominated for multiple awards in its home community, including best album by the Fort Worth Weekly, best new band by the Dallas Observer, the next big thing and the big song by QuickDFW magazine.
To get an idea of what Mount Righteous looks and sounds like, here are the band members: Allison plays trombone; Austin, electric guitar and piccolo; Cory, trumpet; Derek, drums; Joey, bass drum; Kendall, glockenspiel; Laura, melodica; Mason, tuba; and Zicole, cymbals.
Other music events in the area:
• Spring Chorus Concert, Valley Symphony Orchestra, Delta County Center for the Performing Arts and Education, 822 Grand Ave., Delta, Friday, April 9, 7:30 p.m., $12 adults, $10 ages 55 and older, $5 ages 17 and younger, ages 5 and under free, 874-9853, http://www.valleysymphony.net.
• The Jay Ketchem Band, Whiskey River, 490 28 1/4 Road, Friday, April 9, 8 p.m.–midnight, $10 cover; and Thursday, April 15, 8 p.m.–midnight, free dance lessons 7–8 p.m., $5 cover, 241-5179.
• Flat Top Reed, blues, Lounge 743, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, Friday, April 9, 8 p.m., ages 21 plus, 241-8888.
• Boston Brass, Mesa County Concert Association, Grand Junction High School auditorium, 1400 N. Fifth St., Friday, April 9, 7:30 p.m., $25 adults, $15 students, any additional tickets will be available after 7:15 p.m., 243-1979.
• The SwampCoolers, Boomers, 436 Main St., Friday, April 9, $7, 248-9022.
• Liquid Lounge with DJ Matthew Kays, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Friday, April 9, ages 21 plus, doors open 8 p.m., 241-1717.
• Gotta Be Girls, CD release party, Turn of the Century Saloon, 117 N. Fourth St., Montrose, Saturday, April 10, 7:30 p.m., $10 at the door, 201-1419.
• The Fab 4, Beatles tribute band, Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St., Saturday, April 10, 7:30 p.m., $26, tickets available at TicketsWest and City Market stores.
• Paul Harshman, Triple Tree Lounge, 201 Second St., Clifton, Saturday, April 10, 7 p.m., 434-9428.
• Mesa State College Trumpet Fest, final concert, Moss Performing Arts Center Recital Hall, 1231 N. 12th St., Saturday, April 10, 4 p.m., $10 adult, $8 seniors, $5 students/children, 248-1604.
• Heavy Drags and Jones/Adams Duo, both local bands, and Bellys from New Orleans, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., Saturday, April 10, 9 p.m., ages 21 plus, $5, 589-6229.
• The Art of the Guitar and the Poem, The Art Center, 1803 N. Seventh St., Saturday, April 10, 6–7:30 p.m., Spanish music set to poetry with guitarists Javier de los Santos, Luis Silva-Villar and poets Richard Sandoval and L. Luis Lopez, 243-7337, ext. 2, http://www.gjartcenter.org.
• Wheel, rock infused with reggae, Boomers, 436 Main St., Saturday, April 10, 9 p.m., $7, 248-9022.
• John Bennet, Horsefly Brewing Co., 2320 E. Main St., Montrose, Saturday, April 10, 7 p.m., 249-6889.
• Spring Chorus Concert, Valley Symphony Orchestra, Montrose Pavilion, 1800 Pavilion Drive, Montrose, Sunday, April 11, 3 p.m., $12 adults, $10 ages 55 and older, $5 ages 17 and younger, ages 5 and under free, 800-982-2518, http://www.valleysymphony.net.
• Mesa State College Faculty Woodwind Quintet, Moss Performing Arts Center Recital Hall, 1231 N. 12th St., Monday, April 12, 7:30 p.m., $10 adult, $8 seniors, $5 students/children, 248-1604.
• The Porchlights unplugged, folk rock, Lounge 743, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, Wednesday, April 14, 8 p.m., ages 21 plus, 241-8888.
• A Little Noon Music, Mesa State College Chamber Choir, Madrigals Both Olde and New, First United Methodist Church, 522 White Ave., Wednesday, April 14, 12:15 p.m., 242-4850.