Music Scene: Week of March 12, 2010
Eeek — a bug?
No need to call an exterminator on this one. Outback rock band BugGiRL, described as “rock ‘n’ roll road warriors from hell,” will play at Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., on Friday, March 12.
The show with local band Riveter starts at 10 p.m. Cost is $5 at the door (they’ll start charging at 8 p.m.).
The brother/sister rock duo BugGiRL from Australia launched a U.S. tour earlier this month.
Siblings Amber and Clinno formed BugGiRL in 2004. They have toured Australia and internationally.
Their most recent recording, the five-track EP “Blood, Sweat & Beers,” came out in October. A full-length album follow up release recorded in California with Sylvia Massy (Tool, System of a Down), is set to come out in June.
If you’re wanting to know what you expect at Grand Junction show, check out this quote found on BugGiRL’s myspace page:
“Loud, fast, sleazy, it sounds BugGiRL. With titles referring to speed, motor oil, sweat, blood and beer and lots of fun. It’s got everything that rock is made of ... taking you back to very, very early Gunners,” wrote Melanie Köher in German in a review of “Blood, Sweat & Beers” MedazzaRock, http://medazzarock.ch, published in Switzerland.
Other music events in the area:
• Tommy Castro Band, blues, with opener Barrio Stimulus, Turn of the Century Saloon, 121 N. Fourth St., Montrose, Friday, March 12, 8 p.m., $20, tickets at Jovis Coffee, http://www.tommycastro.com, 201-1419.
• Celtica Sinfonia 2010, Celtic band Feast and Mystic Force, a group of champion Irish step-dancers, Western Slope Concert Series. At Avalon Theatre: 645 Main St., Friday, March 12, 7:30 p.m., tickets $23 in advance, $26 at the door for adults, $15 advance ages 12 and under, $17 at the door, at City Market stores in the Grand Valley, Delta and Hotchkiss. At Montrose Pavilion, 1800 Pavilion Road, Montrose, Sunday, March 14, 7 p.m., tickets prices vary, purchase at the Montrose Pavilion. 241-0741, http://www.Junction Concerts.com.
• Strolling Scones, ‘60s rock, Boomers, 436 Main St., Friday, March 12, 9 p.m., $7, 248-9022.
• Pineapple Crackers, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, Friday, March 12, 241-8888.
• Vintage Voltage, ‘60s and ‘70s rock, Fast Eddy’s, 2650 North Ave., Friday, March 12, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., vintagevoltageband.com, 241-7008.
• David Jergenson, Enzo’s Pizzeria and Italian Eatery, 759 Horizon Drive, Saturday, March 13, 255-8500.
• Goodman Band, Boomers, 436 Main St., Saturday, March 13, 9 p.m., 248-9022.
• Huey, Dewey and Louie, rock, country, blues, Fast Eddy’s 2650 North Ave., Saturday, March 13, 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m., 241-7008.
• Young Artist Competition Finals hosted by Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra, at Mesa State College, Moss Performing Arts Center, Recital Hall, 1231 N. 12th St., Sunday, March 14, 2 p.m., four musicians compete for a guest artist spot in the symphony’s 2010–11 concert season, $5, http://www.gjsymphony.org, 243-6787.
• St. Patty’s Day with The Sneaky Snakes, DoubleTree Hotel, 743 Horizon Drive, Wednesday, March 17, 241-8888.
• The Brew-Glass Trio, Bub’s Field Sports Pub and Grille, 715 Horizon Drive, Wednesday, March 17, 8–11 p.m., 243-3938.
• Gustav Brett, Camp Robber Cafe, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, Wednesday, March 17, 240-1590.
• Andrew Witt, singer/songwriter, Living Stone Church auditorium, 2971 North Ave., Thursday, March 18, doors open 6:30 p.m., concert 7 p.m., 210-0289.
• Jed Kovach, Canyon Creek Bed and Breakfast, 820 E. Main St., Montrose, Thursday, March 18, 249-2886.