Way Back When, April 7, 2014
The Town of Palisade was incorporated on April 4, 1904. This year will mark the milestone with a series of events called the Cen-Ten Celebration.
Beautiful Palisade has put itself on the map by maintaining its original feel, spirit and agricultural roots. The town now has a Board of Trustees that appears very different from the fellows in one of these photos, which was taken at the first official Town Meeting in May 1904.
The trustees were:
■ D. M. Landreth of the Citizens Party, a fruit grower and real estate developer. Palisade’s Landreth Addition was named for him. It stretches from Fifth to Sixth Street and from Iowa to Peach Avenue. Once a six-acre orchard, the land was purchased from Benton Canon in 1904. Landreth sold an 11-acre orchard east of town in Vineland for $20,000. Landreth purchased the tract about three years before for $10,000 and harvested nearly $25,000 of fruit from the trees in those three years. His success attracted attention from all over the nation, as these profits were unheard of at the time.
■ Dr. G.R. Brown came to Palisade in 1900 and was elected as mayor pro-tem or, the fellow who serves as mayor in the mayor’s absence.
■ Clint H. Martin came to Palisade in 1902 and began publishing The Palisade Tribune in 1903. He was appointed town clerk at the May 1904 meeting. Martin was the newspaper’s editor on and off until 1909, when the paper had a circulation of 1,100 copies.
■ Mayor Herman W. Kluge operated his successful general mercantile business in Palisade for several years. Kluge — pronounced Klug-ee — was born in Illinois and came to Palisade from Denver in 1901. When elected mayor, he belonged to the Citizens Party and won by 20 votes. He operated the mercantile and Palisade Coal & Supply. After serving three terms as mayor, Kluge was elected to the state Senate in 1914 as a Democrat. His obituary in 1933 described him as “one of the Merchant Princes” of Colorado.
■ W.A. Powell, who came to Palisade in 1895 from Des Moines, Iowa, was a fruit grower who helped organize the Palisade Fruit Growers’ Association in 1903. He later helped organize the Peach Growers’ Association.
■ Republican George Sawade was the manager of the Palisade Fruit Growers’ Association.
■ J. A. Pierson was the other Republican elected that day.
■ William E. Bell came to Palisade in 1897 and later built the brick house on the corner of Fifth and Peach. With Powell, he helped organize the Palisade Fruit Growers’ Association and later served as its secretary. In 1905, he was offered $3,250 for his 10-acre orchard across the river, which he bought for $400. By 1909, the Bells had moved to Idaho.