120 years: 1895
The citizens of Grand Junction were getting organized. The 20th Century Club was founded as was the Grand Junction Athletic Association. The Fire Departments Hose Cart Team set a world’s record and the Grand Mesa Woman’s Club was established.
1895 marked the opening of the first Lincoln School on Orchard Mesa. The first high school was a two story, four room brick building and graduated 10 pupils. It was located at the site of the old Lowell School (R-5). That same year, school board member A. R. Sampiliner opened a clothing store at 4th and Main, later to become Rush-Sanfords, then Brownson’s, now the Rockslide.