120 Years: 1925
Forty-one students were enrolled at Grand Junction Junior College for its first semester in 1925. The first classes were held in the old Lowell School Building at Fifth Street and Rood Avenue.
Gymnastics classes took place across the street at the YMCA. Three new schools also were built in 1925: Lincoln Elementary, Whitman Elementary (now the Whitman Education Center) and the new Lowell School at Fifth Street and Grand Avenue. The latter now is R-5 High School.
Ray Schiesswohl opens his Super Service Station at Sixth Street and Colorado Avenue, and many of his customers become excited to throw their clubs in the back of their automobiles and take off for the new Lincoln Park Golf Course.