Bad heating unit causes smoke at Ratekin Towers

The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Ratekin Towers, 875 Main St., on Friday night.

Twenty-one firefighters arrived and found light smoke on the third floor, then assisted with the evacuation of at least 15 residents of the third floor of the five-story building.

Residents on all other floors remained in their apartments and sheltered in place.

Crews checked the area and found an electrical smell associated with the smoke and began checking the lights for overheated ballast.

They found the source of the smoke was a faulty heating unit in the hallway and were able to isolate the problem for building maintenance to repair.

One person was assisted from the third floor because of a history of medical problems. That person was checked out and released on scene by an ambulance crew.

Smoke damage was minor and there was no damage to the building. Crews ventilated the area and let everyone back in their apartments shortly before 7 p.m.


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


TOP JOBS
Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2015 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy