Battery overheats at sheriff’s office, small fire causes $50,000 in damage

By SENTINEL STAFF

A small fire involving an overheated battery left damage estimated at $50,000 early Friday morning in a room at the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department.

Mike Page, Grand Junction Fire Department spokesman, said firefighters were called at 2:06 a.m. after a deputy noticed a battery sitting in a portable charger starting to smolder.

The deputy tried to douse the battery with a fire extinguisher, Page said.

Page said the fire was out by the time firefighters arrived on scene.

An overhead sprinkler system activated during the fire.

The battery was situated on a deputy’s desk.

The damage, mostly from water in a ceiling panel and on carpet, was largely isolated to one room, Page said.


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


TOP JOBS
  • Rns

    Find Your Life'sWork at HopeWest.Our team of nurses is growing...

  • Rn

    Find Your Life'sWork at HopeWestImmediate Openings forRegi...

  • Delivery Route

    BUSINESS OPPORTUNITYWould you like to deliver newspapersa...

  • Rocky Mountain Health Plans Opportunities

    Administrative Support IVProvide administrative support including sch...

  • Accountant

    Delta-Montrose ElectricAssociation & Elevatecurrent job openi...

  • Ranch Hand

    Experienced . Looking for experienced . All phases of cattle ranching. Center pi...

Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy