Blotter: October 29, 2008
Men accused of sex assault
• Three men are in custody of Montrose County Jail, each on bonds of $100,000, on suspicion of sexually assaulting the same woman during a single incident earlier this month, according to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department.
Vatchana Souhala, 22, of Boise; Trevor Peterson, 34; of Galveston, Texas; and Shaundrell Graham, 21, of Butler, Ala., were arrested in Uintah County, Wyoming, on warrants out of Montrose.
The men each are facing charges of sexual assault, conspiracy, false imprisonment and providing alcohol to the woman, who is older than 18 but not 21, spokeswoman Bobbie McCoid said.
McCoid said the three men were working with a company in Naturita on Oct. 13 when the alleged assault occurred, but the men left the state with the company before arrests were made. Arrest affidavits in the case are sealed, McCoid said.
Suspect faces more charges
• A Grand Junction man accused of kidnapping and attempting to sexually assault a 9-year-old girl will face more charges, a prosecutor said today.
Michael Byerrum, 40, was scheduled to enter a plea Tuesday to multiple felony charges in connection with a May incident in which he allegedly took the girl from an Orchard Mesa apartment complex, put her in the trunk of his car and drove to an area near a former Department of Energy compound.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Tammy Eret said she anticipated filing an additional six counts against Byerrum, although she did not specify what they would be.
Byerrum’s plea hearing was continued until Nov. 18.
According to the Colorado State Patrol:
• Jose Alonzo Lozoya, 19, 200 Colorado Ave., Parachute, was arrested and booked into Mesa County Jail on suspicion of first-degree auto theft and several traffic infractions.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• Items valued at more than $1,000 were taken from a vehicle parked in the 700 block of Horizon Drive.
• Items valued at more than $1,000 were taken from a home in the area of 27 Road and H Road.
• Items valued at more than $500 were taken from a home in the 300 block of South Ninth Street.
• A vehicle valued at less than $20,000 was taken from a parking lot at Mesa State College.
• Items valued at more than $1,000 were taken from a home in the 1000 block of Independent Avenue.
• A girl caused more than $1,000 in damages to several vehicles in the 2800 block of North Avenue.
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• A rock was thrown at a vehicle in the 2900 block of Ronda Lee Road, causing $200 in damages.
• About $40 in cash and property were taken from a vehicle in the 2900 block of Ronda Lee Road.