Blotter: April 04, 2009
Grenade found in shed
• An Olathe man cleaning his shed Thursday stumbled upon a grenade, the Montrose County Sheriff’s Department said.
Kent Thompson, 43, called sheriff’s deputies to his home in the 6000 block of 6700 Road around 1:45 p.m. after he said he noticed a rag in the corner of a shelf, unwrapped it and found himself holding a grenade. The man placed the grenade on the hood of a car and called the Sheriff’s Department, according to a report.
Deputies described the grenade as a pineapple-style fragmentation grenade with the initials “AF” stamped on the side and a thin, yellow strip around the neck of the grenade.
The Grand Junction Bomb Squad took possession of the grenade and planned to turn it over Friday to Fort Carson Army base in Colorado Springs.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• Toby Raymond Fowler, 40, 2853 North Ave., and Sherri Dee Williams, 41, of Thornton were arrested Thursday on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance after they were contacted at Broadway and Monument Road.
• Jefferson Blaine Smith, 32, 1859 Orchard Ave., was arrested Thursday on a warrant alleging second-degree burglary, first-degree criminal trespass and theft of $500 to $1,000.
• Katherine Widdop, 26, address unknown, was issued a summons Thursday on suspicion of theft after she allegedly stole merchandise from Wal-Mart, 2545 Rimrock Ave.
• A thief stole a nitrogen bottle and accessories and multiple motor vehicle gauges from the 700 block of Winters Avenue on Thursday. The items were valued at more than $1,000.