Blotter: Aug.18, 2009
Hiker found by Eagle County seachers
• A Denver hiker stranded on a mountain trail in Eagle County was found safe Monday morning, according to the Eagle County Sheriff’s Department.
Steven Volenec, 57, was found by rescuers who were headed up New York Mountain Trailhead around 9 a.m. Volenec was driving down in his own vehicle after spending the night. He was reported missing around 8 p.m. Sunday.
Volenec told rescuers that while hiking down the trail on Sunday, he tripped and broke his glasses. Disoriented and with nightfall approaching, he opted to stay put Sunday night. The Eagle County Sheriff’s Department and Vail Mountain Rescue Group were mobilized for a search effort Monday morning.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• Richard Junior Valdez, 23, 2814 Hall Ave., was booked Sunday into Mesa County Jail on suspicion of second-degree burglary and criminal mischief.
• Lisa Jean George, 45, 337 Colorado Ave. was booked Monday into Mesa County Jail on suspicion of felony second-degree assault with intent.
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• Deputies assisted a motorist whose vehicle had become stuck on Sunday afternoon in a wash in the desert off 25 Road.
• Someone on Sunday afternoon caused about $50 in damage after knocking a door handle off a vehicle parked in the 400 block of Bing Street.
• Nathan Ralph White, 45, 3256-A Cardenas, was booked Sunday into Mesa County on suspicion of three counts of violation of a protection order, theft by receiving, third-degree assault, driving under the influence of alcohol, driving under the influence of alcohol per se, harassment, false reporting to authorities, violating conditions of bail bond, aggravated driving on a revoked license, driving as a habitual offender, driving on a restrained license while under the influence, driving an unregistered vehicle and a warrant for failing to appear in court.
According to the Garfield County Sheriff’s Department
• Someone on Sunday entered an unoccupied home in the 200 block of Lodgepole Circle in Parachute but did not take any items.