Blotter, Dec. 1, 2013
Log too big for fireplace
A Grand Junction home sustained about $5,000 in damage Saturday when the upper portion of a fireplace was breached, allowing flames to spread inside the wall.
According to the Grand Junction Fire Department, crews responded to 150 Vista Grande Road on a report of a possible structure fire at which the home’s occupants were trying to extinguish the fire rather than evacuate.
Upon arrival, firefighters found the homeowner had removed a large portion of drywall around the fireplace and ceiling above and was using a garden hose to extinguish flames, according to the Fire Department.
The home’s seven occupants were moved outside and fire crews extinguished the remainder of the fire. Its cause, according to the Fire Department, was a log that was too long to fit properly in the fireplace, which breached the upper portion of the fire box and allowed flames to spread in the wall and above the mantle.
Damage is estimated at $5,000 to the structure and $5,000 to home contents.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
■ A thief unlawfully entered an unlocked vehicle parked Nov. 20 in the 200 block of Kip Court.
■ Tiffany Blecha, 31, was issued a summons Nov. 23 on suspicion of shoplifting at 2424 U.S. Highway 6&50.
■ Casey Daniels, 27, was issued a summons Nov. 24 at 29 Road and North Avenue on suspicion of driving with a suspended license.