Blotter: December 20, 2008
$50,000 bond for suspect
• A Grand Junction man was in custody Friday on a $50,000 bond after allegedly leading police on a high-speed chase Thursday afternoon.
Charles Evans, Jr., 32, of 557 Garfield Drive,
Unit C, is facing charges of second-degree burglary, obstruction of a law enforcement officer, vehicular eluding, driving as a habitual offender and several traffic violations. Evans was taken into custody after attempting to hide in his neighbor’s apartment, according to his arrest affidavit.
Crash creates logjam
• Southbound traffic was stalled on Fifth Street late Friday afternoon as law enforcement investigated a crash between a motorcycle and a pickup at the intersection of South Avenue and Fifth Street, said spokeswoman Kate Porras of the Grand Junction Police Department.
Neither of the drivers’ names was being released. The driver of the motorcycle was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital with serious trauma to his leg after being hit by the driver of the pickup, Porras said. The operator of the pickup was driving with a revoked driver’s license and is a habitual traffic offender, Porras said.
Suspected marijuana and methamphetamine were found in his vehicle, and the driver was detained by police after being released by staff at St. Mary’s Hospital, she said.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• Someone lost about $1,000 after cashing a fraudulent check and sending the money back to the sender in Canada.
• A burglar unlawfully entered an apartment in the 1100 block of Santa Clara Avenue.
• A thief stole property valued at more than $1,000 from a home in the 2400 block of F Road.
• A juvenile was sexually assaulted in the central part of the city.
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• Sonia Vazquez, 39, 138 Dorothy Ave., was arrested and booked into Mesa County Jail on suspicion of illegally possessing prescription medication and two counts of misdemeanor child abuse.