Blotter: December 22, 2008
Fire destroys apartment
• No one was injured in an apartment fire early Sunday at 560 Teller Ave., according to the Grand Junction Fire Department.
Around 6 a.m., the Fire Department responded to reports of a crackling sound and the smell of smoke in the apartment.
The cause of the fire is being investigated. The Fire Department said the fire started in the first-floor utility room of the apartment.
Family members of the apartment’s only occupant are helping her with housing.
She evacuated her apartment before the Fire Department arrived.
The Fire Department estimated the damage at $100,000.
Woman accused of theft
• Rosa Valenzuela, 41, was arrested Saturday afternoon on suspicion of theft of approximately $1,400 in items from Sears, Deb and American Eagle at Mesa Mall, according to the Grand Junction Police Department.
Valenzuela also was accused of conspiring with her 24-year-old daughter in the thefts, Sgt. David Stassen said. Valenzuela’s daughter has not been arrested, he added.
An employee at Sears caught Valenzuela stealing and notified authorities, according to Valenzuela’s arrest affidavit.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• A thief entered a storage unit in the 2100 block of H Road and stole items valued at more than $1,000.
• Jared Scott Swartz, 21, was arrested on suspicion of second-degree burglary and theft of less than $500.
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• Stephanie Spring Chamberlain, 31, was arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.