Blotter: February 01, 2009
GJ man accused of theft
• A Grand Junction man was arrested Friday on multiple felony charges after Mesa County sheriff’s deputies received a report of a theft from a home in the 3200 block of E Road.
Tab Arthur Hughes, 52, 527 Colorado Ave., was jailed on suspicion of second-degree burglary, third-degree burglary, theft of between $500 and $1,000, possession of a controlled substance, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Chimney fire extinguished
• Fire broke out inside a chimney at a Fruitvale house early Saturday morning, causing an estimated $50,000 in damage, according to the Grand Junction Fire Department.
Firefighters were called out to 601 Pioneer Road at 12:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the attic on the west side of the home, fire spokesman Mike Page said.
The resident of the home heard the fire in the area behind the stove and saw smoke coming from the attic. He and his dog were able to get out safely. A smoke detector in the home was not in working order, Page said.
Firefighters said the fire started in the chimney and ignited combustibles in the confined space around the chimney. They said it’s important to remind homeowners that they should maintain a clean chimney if they’re using wood stoves, noting this is the third chimney fire the Fire Department has responded to recently.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• Joseph Romero, 20, and James Stacey, 23, address unknown, were issued summonses Friday on suspicion of theft after they allegedly stole merchandise from a store at Mesa Mall.
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• A man reported Friday that someone threw a rock through the window of his vehicle while it was parked in the 3200 block of the Interstate 70 Business Loop and stole property valued at $1,100.
According to the Fruita Police Department:
• Rachel Leigh Call, 21, 2853 North Ave., was arrested Friday on suspicion of felony criminal mischief, leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving, harassment and false reporting to authorities.