Blotter: July 05, 2009
Fire at Powerhouse Gym
• A local gym was evacuated briefly Saturday afternoon after a carpet cleaning vehicle caught fire near the building’s rear entrance, according to the Grand Junction Fire Department.
A Stanley Steamer cleaning van had backed up to clean carpets at Powerhouse Gym, 2460 Patterson Road, when the vehicle caught on fire at 1:45 p.m. Cleaning chemicals did not cause the fire, and investigators are investigating the origin.
Flames licked the side of the building, but firefighters were able to knock down the blaze before it caused any substantial damage to the building.
The vehicle was considered a total loss with $60,000 in damage.
Damage to the buliding was $5,000, the Fire Department said.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• Cameron Ray Forthman, 21, 1305 Wellington Ave., No. 102, was booked into Mesa County Jail on Friday on suspicion of robbery, theft of less than $500 and disorderly conduct.
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• A painting valued at $180 was taken from the front of a residence in the 400 block of Rambling Acres on July 1 or July 2.
• Deputies responded to an all-terrain vehicle accident Friday, in which a person said the throttle on the vehicle was stuck and caused a crash.
• Wade Daniel Langer, 36, was arrested Friday on a warrant on suspicion of 10 sexual assaults on a child.
• Darrell Leroy Connor, 3833 G 1/4 Road, Palisade, was arrested and booked into Mesa County Jail on Friday on suspicion of a misdemeanor offense of violating a protection order.