Blotter: July 27, 2009
Sex assault suspect booked
• Eugene James Schmidt, homeless, was arrested Friday afternoon by the Grand Junction Police Department on suspicion of six counts of sexual assault on a child by force and three counts of sex assault on a child in a pattern of abuse.
The Mesa County Sheriff’s Department had issued a warrant for Schmidt’s arrest, and a Grand Junction police officer found him Friday in the 700 block of Colorado Avenue. Police Department Sgt. William Baker said Schmidt had been staying at a Colorado Avenue residence but did not have a permanent address.
The Sheriff’s Department did not release Schmidt’s arrest affidavit Sunday.
Man accused of break-in
• Fernando Chavez Rodriguez, 21, 2913 Dawn Drive, was arrested Friday night on suspicion he broke into a vehicle and a business in the 2800 block of North Avenue and stole items, gave police a false name and was in possession of a forged identification card, according to the Grand Junction Police Department.
Police Sgt. William Baker said Sunday the police report indicated a witness called police to say a man had broken into the Payless Shoe Source store at 2883 North Ave. around 8 p.m. and stole shoes. Baker said a witness also reported seeing the same man break into a vehicle in the Wal-Mart parking lot at 2881 North Ave. and steal a car stereo.
Rodriguez was arrested in the parking lot, and Baker said officers recovered the car stereo in some bushes nearby. Baker said alcohol was listed as a factor in the incident.
Rodriguez was booked into the Mesa County Jail.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• A thief stole a handgun Friday from a home in the 2600 block of Del Mar Drive. The gun was valued at less than $500.
• Debra Jorgensen, 35, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of possessing less than an ounce of suspected marijuana and drug paraphernalia. She also had been named in an arrest warrant
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• A thief stole a Mesa resident’s truck that was parked near Colorado Highways 65 and 330 on Saturday.
• Someone stole a portable DVD player, sweatshirt and 10 CDs from an unlocked car in the 500 block of 32 1/8 Road around
6:45 p.m. Saturday. The owner told deputies the theft must have occurred during the previous 30 hours. The value of the stolen items was estimated to be $240.
• A Fruitvale man called deputies Saturday night to report he was being harassed by phone. He said his grandson has been calling him and threatening him and that he just wanted that information documented.
• A thief stole a bicycle Saturday from the front yard of a residence in the 400 block of West Chuckar Way.
• Deputies responded to the St. Mary’s Hospital emergency room Saturday night to investigate an assault that was said to have occurred in the 3200 block of Rood Avenue. The victim, however, had no visible injuries and told deputies she was fine and declined to provide any details about the incident.