Blotter: march 20, 2009
Text message threats a hoax, police say
• Text messages circulating through the community that say several people will be killed at Wal-Mart as a part of a gang initiation are a hoax, according to the Grand Junction Police Department.
Similar messages have been reported across the country. Police advise residents who receive the text messages to ignore them.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• A 1997 Chevy Venture van valued at less than $2,000 was stolen Sunday in the 1100 block of Colorado Avenue.
• Ryan Gilbert, 34, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of causing less than $1,000 in damage to property in the 2600 block of North Seventh Street.
• A 13-year-old female was arrested on suspicion of assault Tuesday near Seventh Street and South Avenue.
• More than $500 in damage was done to a business Wednesday in the 1400 block of North Avenue.
• A tailgate valued at less than $1,000 was removed from a vehicle Wednesday in the 700 block of North First Street.
• Nickele Miller, 39, was arrested on suspicion of theft of less than $1,000 at 2424 U.S. Highway 6&50 on Wednesday.