Blotter, Jan. 5, 2010

Flue causes Clifton fire

A fire that damaged a Clifton home early Monday morning was caused by the fireplace flue being placed too close to a wood truss in the home, the Clifton Fire Protection District said.

Firefighters were called out to 112 Laura Ave. just before 5:30 a.m. and found smoke coming from the roof, Assistant Fire Chief Greg Martin said.

Crews pulled out the ceiling and roof where the smoke was coming from, as well as insulation, and had the fire under control in about 25 minutes, Martin said.

Damage was estimated at $1,500. No injuries were reported.

Given the recent spell of unusually cold weather, Martin said homeowners should occasionally inspect their fireplaces, stoves and flues to make sure they are working correctly.

According to the Grand Junction Police Department:

David Lee Schulte, 49, and Tina Kimberly Mantovani, 45, both of 566 Garfield Drive, No. 2, were arrested early Monday morning at their home on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana.

Armando Ramirez, 44, address unavailable, was arrested Sunday on suspicion of child abuse after he allegedly assaulted and injured a child in the northwest part of the city.

Someone caused more than $1,000 damage to a home in the 800 block of Grand Vista Way on Sunday.


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


TOP JOBS
Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2015 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy