Bomb threat a hoax at GJ High School
Grand Junction High School students will have classes as usual today, a day after school was canceled because someone called in a bomb threat.
A male voice called in the threat at 11:15 a.m. Tuesday from a pay phone in Grand Junction, telling 911 dispatchers a bomb would go off at the school at 1:10 p.m., School District 51 spokesman Jeff Kirtland said.
The Grand Junction Police Department and Mesa County Sheriff’s Department did not find any evidence of a bomb after searching the school. Students were evacuated from the campus at 11:20 a.m. and were not allowed back inside until officers were finished with the search at 1:30 p.m. Students were sent home at that time.
“Obviously, it was an empty threat,” Kirtland said. “I think we can only state to parents that kids are safe at school. We do take the threat seriously.”
Some high school students were expecting to take tests in many of their classes Tuesday and today before being let out for the Thanksgiving break.
Sophomore Maria Lefevre called it the “yearly fall tragedy.” Grand Junction High students last year were treated to a two-week Thanksgiving break after a faulty water valve caused a flood, damaging electrical and mechanical systems in the school’s basement.
A media event that was scheduled for Tuesday to celebrate the high school’s new athletic track was postponed.