Blotter: March 09, 2009
Man ID’d as crash victim
• A Fruita man has been identified as the driver killed when his pickup went into the Colorado River in De Beque Canyon.
Lazar Szocs, 79, died from drowning, the Mesa County Coroner’s Office said Sunday.
Szocs was driving a Dodge Ram east on Interstate 70 near milepost 57 about 8:15 a.m. Saturday when the pickup hit and went over a guardrail and rolled down an embankment into the river.
Szocs was pinned inside the truck, which was almost completely submerged. Witnesses who tried to help were hindered by the temperature of the water and the river’s current, said Colorado State Patrol trooper Ron Greasley.
According to the Grand Junction Police Department:
• Property valued at more than $1,000 was stolen Thursday from Mesa State College.
• Jodie Stewart, 36, was arrested on suspicion of theft Friday in the 2700 block of South U.S. Highway 50.
• Joseph Rentie, 31, was arrested Friday on suspicion of trespassing in the 200 block of Rood Avenue.
• A theft victim was injured in the 2800 block of North Avenue. The victim reported $100 was taken.
• Morgan Forney, 20, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of indecent exposure, public intoxication and underage consumption of alcohol in the 2800 block of North Avenue.
• Two underage women were arrested on suspicion of shoplifting Saturday at 2424 U.S. Highway 6&50.
• Shannon Cain, 27, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of shoplifting in the 2500 block of Rimrock Avenue.
• Damage valued at less than $1,000 was caused to a business in the 1000 block of Orchard Avenue when it was broken into Sunday.
According to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department:
• A man was pickpocketed Saturday in the 2900 block of North Avenue, losing property valued at $120.